Decoration Help Needed

Baking By cwattles Updated 8 Dec 2008 , 1:29am by cwattles

cwattles Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 4

I bake Christmas cookies every year, and my hubby wants me to bake some spritz cookies that his grandfather used to make. They're in the shape of a flower.

Here's the problem: He used something that looked like part of a red gumdrop to put in the center of each flower when he baked them. They were not round, but more of a square. My mother-in-law said she thought it was red hots, but my hubby says it wasn't.

Any ideas on what this mystery ingredient was?? Any help is greatly appreciated!

3 replies
kimsmom Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 4

Perhaps a candied cherry, like the ones they use in fruitcake. They can be found during the holidays. They come in both red and green. Hope that helps.

Win Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 4

My dad still makes them each year as a tradition, but uses a bit of maraschino cherry vs. the candied cherry...

cwattles Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 1:29am
post #4 of 4

I'm thinking it must be a candied cherry. I look for them tomorrow at the store. Thanks for your suggestions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%