Grants?????

Business By mandy711 Updated 8 Dec 2008 , 1:57am by CakeForte

mandy711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandy711 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 5

Has anyone ever gotton a grant for thier cake business, if so how, where, ect.?

4 replies
MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 5

I wanna know, too.

A friend suggested the best way to get one is if you had an after-school day for kids to come and learn how to decorate, something along those lines.

mommarivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommarivera Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 5

Yea I have wondered that myself.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 12:51am
post #4 of 5

In the small business course that I took, they told us there are not any "grants" for your business. I think it has to be a non-profit thing. We were told that the "businesses" that teach grant-writing to help you secure money for your business or to start a business are just making money from the un-informed.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 1:57am
post #5 of 5

Yes, Mac is right. Grants are given out by foundations when a company's or school's product /service/ research is in line with the said foundations goals. So a company will then apply for a grant and then be awarded based on their need and if they are the best fit for the foundation. You can't just apply anywhere and everywhere...it has to be a pretty close match.

Someone on here has a siggy that says "bake for our troops" or something like that. If their business was solely for that purpose, and basically operated as a non-profit, they would be able to apply for grants if there was a foundation that was also in line with support troops, and they were able to establish a serious need as to why they are the best applicant for the grant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%