Help With Whipped Icing!

Decorating By tarheelgirl Updated 8 Dec 2008 , 3:57am by Monkess

tarheelgirl Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 14

I need a whipped icing that is good for decorating with. I really can't stand this stuff!! I have never had luck getting it smooth. I also have to put an edible image on top of this cake! Any suggestions??

13 replies
terrier Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 14

I add 2-4 Tbsp of meringue powder to whipped cream and it holds really nicely!

tarheelgirl Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 14

I will give this a try! Mine usually comes out like cool whip. That is not what I am going for this time. lol

terrier Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 14

My recipe is just the one my mom does....

whip cream
then I add the 2-4 Tbsp of meringue powder (add this at the same time as the sugar) also I also sift my powder first.

do not over mix

sometime I also use Nutri whip add a little flavour and the meringue powder
it works really well...

Good Luck!

cakeschmake Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 5:14pm
post #5 of 14

I have a few questions if anyone can answer them:

Does adding the meringue powder help it to stiffen up enough to keep its shape for borders and such?
What type of suger: granulated or powdered?

Thanks for the help!

terrier Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 8:46pm
post #6 of 14

Yes adding the meringue powder helps it to stiffen up enough to keep its shape for borders and such.

Both types of sugar will work granulated or powdered.

bizatchgirl Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 14

Yay! I have the same problem with whipped icing. It's ok if you don't need to put anything on it. Or make a border with it. I have a whole unopened can of meringue powder. I will have to try it next time!

If you add the meringue powder is it strong enough to hold up under fondant?

Monkess Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 9:13pm
post #8 of 14

The absolute last word in whipped icing is "Richs Whipped topping" It is not really cream but tastes, looks and decorates just like realy whipped cream, imagine cool whip but thick and ice-able. This is our most popular icing by far. You can also try and get Nutri Whip ?Non dairy topping-same thing but I prefer richs.
You get it liquid and whip it in your ka on medium till its peaked. Great product!

tarheelgirl Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 12:51am
post #9 of 14

Thanks guys! I will give the meringue powder a try for sure! I will have to look around for the Rich's whipped topping.

bizatchgirl Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 1:21am
post #10 of 14

Monkess, does it hold up under fondant? I've heard lots of good stuff about Rich's.

tarheelgirl Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 1:33am
post #11 of 14

Where do you get Rich's? Is that a store brand?

You know.. it seems like Walmart carries this but not in the dairy section. I will have to check that out!

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 1:38am
post #12 of 14

No idea if Rich's holds up under fondant. I would have to say probably not because it's still quite light and fluffy. It doesn't crust over as buttercream does. And since the moisture content is higher than buttercream, edible images tend to have a short life on it. The moisture causes the colors to bleed. If I absolutely had to put an edible image on whipped, I would put it on right before I serve it. I have given people their cakes with the image in a little baggy. I just explain it to them and they're fine. They're actually very thankful that I did that. So yeah, if that's not an option, then maybe putting the edible image on a little fondant plaque and sitting that on the cake would work out better.

Also, I've always used Rich's when it's chilled. It has better workability (if that's a word) when it's cold.

EDIT: Rich's is used in the bakeries at Walmart and Sam's Club. I know you can buy it prewhipped at Sam's, but because it's Sam's you have to buy large quantities. I've heard of people buying both buttercream and whipped and mixing them together. I guess you get the benefits of both. I suppose if you buy a large bucket of white whipped, you could just tint small batches to the colors you need, then maybe there won't be that much waste. If Walmart or Sam's isn't an option, then I know unwhipped Rich's is available online.

Chole Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 2:49am
post #13 of 14

I used the whipped icing they sell at Sams, where you need that club card. You have to ask for it at the bakery because it is refrigerated, it says buttercream but it's whipped cream. it doesn't melt, the colors don't bleed through, and I've used edible images on them before and it works great. It is like whipped icing and spreads incredibly smooth. I have never made buttercream icing again! This is not as sweet as it either. I love it! It saves alot of time. It costs like $17 for a huge bucket. It lasts a good while and you can make tons of cakes from it. I definitely recommend it! icon_lol.gif

Monkess Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:57am
post #14 of 14

Fondant- you can not use Richs with fondant-it is way to soft.
You can buy it at Sams but dont buy whipped as you will pay way too much for it. you can go to it) and if you are plannign on buying large amounts then buy from a distributor in your area.
The colors do tend to bleed I agree with the others about the image etc.
But it tastes yummy-my customers can not stop raving how my cakes are always so light and not too sweet! You can put a thick layer with a thick filling and it still seems light.
Tastes divine paored with fruits- I use pineapple, strawberries and canned peaches.

Quote by @%username% on %date%