Cake Flour Question

Decorating By Frankyola Updated 8 Dec 2008 , 6:45am by Frankyola

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 6:34am
post #1 of 7

Hi does any one know how can I make cake flour from AP flour? I heard that we can add corn starch but I don't remember the exact amount, can you guys help me?

Thank You so much in advance icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

6 replies
cakedivamommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedivamommy Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 6:42am
post #2 of 7

These are directions from online:

Step1
Get out the flour that you have. Most likely it is the regular enriched kind, but whatever you have on hand will work.

Step2
Sift flour. This requires a flour sifter. Remember those tin can shaped things with a tiny wire screen that your grandma used to have? That is a sifter. If you don't have one of these, you can use a vegetable/spaghetti noodle strainer or even a small tea strainer. Anything with those small holes.

Step3
Measure how much flour you'll need. For every 1 cup of flour you use, take out 2 tablespoons of the flour. Set the 2 tablespoons aside or put them back in the flour bin.

Step4
Replace the two tablespoons of flour that you took out with two tablespoons of cornstarch.

Step5
Sift the cornstarch and flour at least five times. This will take a lot of time if you are using the tea strainer, but do it anyway. The cornstarch needs to get mixed in really well. The better you can sift it together, the more light and fluffy the cake flour will be, perfect for making that marvelous melt in your mouth cake.

Frankyola Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 8:22am
post #3 of 7

Thank you so much Iroberts74!! thumbs_up.gif I owe you one, thank you, thank you, thank you thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_smile.gif

cakedivamommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedivamommy Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 8:27am
post #4 of 7

You are very welcome! Glad I could be helpful.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 3:52pm
post #5 of 7

If a recipe calls for cake flour, run to the grocery store and buy cake flour. Cake flour and AP flour are two distinctly different types of flour made from different types of wheat. That substitution may work or you may be shooting yourself in the foot, depending on the recipe.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 12:21am
post #6 of 7

Substituting bleached AP flour and corn starch is an acceptable substitute for cake flour. (Unbleached AP flour WON'T work.)

Everything you ever wanted to know about cake and AP flour:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6175365-.html

HTH

Frankyola Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 6:45am
post #7 of 7

Thank You so much Cakepro and JanH for your response it help me a lot.

Frankyia thumbs_up.gificon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%