Thanks Cc For All The Great Tips!! Love It!

Decorating By Ck41500 Updated 7 Dec 2008 , 6:35am by firehorse

Ck41500 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 5:47am
post #1 of 5

Thanks everyone!
You have restored my faith in cake decorating! Not to be too over dramatic (too late I know) but I was seriously thinking of ebaying my meager supplies and throwing in the towel! I have learned so much and last weekend I got a chance to try some stuff out.
First I tried the towel wrapping trick to get a nice even cake since I suck at leveling them! It was so awesome!! I was so excited to take the cake out of the pan I did so too early and the cake crumbled! But I didn't worry, I made a new one.
This time I added flavored coffee creamer to the batter, with the emergency help of some posters on here and it came out wonderful!! It was so moist and had a nice hint of toffee flavor. I used the creamer in the buttercream and it was lovely too!! I even made chocolate buttercream by adding a package of chocolate instant pudding mix, something I think I read here...
I have had issues with my butter cream for years now. ( I only make 3 cakes a year) I played with the recipe a million times, but after reading and watching you tube clips I learned that I was whipping it and filling it with air. This time I took it slower and with a paddle attachment. It was smooth and had some many less air bubbles. It crusted beautifully!!!!! I was even able to use the Viva method on it (although I used sam's club generic, but you get the idea). I had such a blast with this cake. It was a dream to work with!!
I was up really late the day before Thanksgiving doing it, hence I didn't bother to cover my board and it has "lovely" grease marks, but I didn't care too much
Here it is...

Thanks so much, especially for letting my gush!!

4 replies
terrylee Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 6:23am
post #2 of 5

Isn't this site just the best. Everyone is so eager to help and guide you .

I have be decorating cakes for many many years , and I have learned so much from CC members, and I'm still learning....

You did a great job on the cake. Isn't it fun...keep up the good work.

diane706 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 6:25am
post #3 of 5

Very cute! Keep it up, your doing great! Happy belated birthday to Gideon. icon_biggrin.gif

dabear Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 6:28am
post #4 of 5

I so wish the comment feature was working! Your cake is so adorable! Your b/c looks so smooth! Congrats on a lovely cake! I soo love CC too! I've learned so much..that my husband hates it when I volunteer to make yet another cake that takes time from him! icon_lol.gif

firehorse Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 6:35am
post #5 of 5

Adorable cake. I love the towel thing too but I did burn my hand the first time I tried it. Pushed too fast! Steam.....ouch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%