Marshmallow Fondant Mixing? Which Approach To Use?

Decorating By fondantfrenzy Updated 8 Dec 2008 , 3:05am by cathie_shinnick

fondantfrenzy Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 5:02am
post #1 of 10

Ok so for some reason, I have hit a bad luck streak of making crappy marshmallow fondant. It keeps seperating, I tried doing to adding corn syrup, I tried adding the tablespoon of shortening to it too. I dont know what is going on. Maybe the marshmallows are old, who knows. But I have been researching to see what is the most gauranteed way to it come out good all the time. So in the past i have been been putting in 1/2 of the sifted suguar in with the well and pouring in the melted marshmallow, now i am seeing in several different places, that they put the melted marshmallow in then add the sugar 1-2 cups at a time using a dough hook?

Does it even matter? Also with the first approach does it mess it up to mix the marshmallow and first half of the powdered sugar too much?

I am just trying to figure out what I am doing wrong, I am getting to a point where I am thinking of never making another cake again! icon_eek.gif Someone please help...ANYONE!

9 replies
deetmar Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 5:18am
post #2 of 10

What recipe are you using? I use Rhondas Ultimate MMF and it always works great for me.

First I grease the microwavable bow, set it on my scale, then turn it on so the scale reads 0 with the bowl on it, then I add the 15 oz of MM. They have to be fresh, if not you will have a mess. Next I sift all of the pwd sugar in the bowl of my mixer. Put hook attachment on mixer.

I always have the salt, lemon juice, almond extract, and light corn syrup on the counter opened and ready to be measured. Then a greast a wooden sponn with crisco and set in on a empty plate.

I nuke the MM on High for 2 minutes, stirring at 1 minute with the wooden spoon. When done, I start by adding the salt, almond extract, lemon juice, and corn syrup. I then mix by hand. Next I take 1 cup of the powdered sugar and mix intho the bowl into incorporated. Then I add one more cup and mix well. This will leave a well in the mixing bowl of the powdered sugar. I then transfer the MM into mixing bowl with hook attachment. I start the mixed on low for aobut 30 seconds then move it to the next speed. I let it beat until a ball is formed.

Then transfer to your well greased work serfuace, put crisco eiither on your hands, or gloves if you prefer to wear them. Nead the dough again. Then I cover the MMF in a bit of Criso, wrap in Saran Wrap and place in Ziploc with air removed and allow to sit at least 20 minutes or over night.

I hope this helps.

aztomcat Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 5:19am
post #3 of 10

I use the dough hook method as I have a trusty KA. I melt the marshmallows and liquids and flavoring in the microwave and then add into my powdered sugar which is waiting in the mixer bowl.

It usually comes out great this way.

good luck with yours.

Dee in AZ

Sweetcakes23 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 6:29am
post #4 of 10

These recipes do sound great to me, but, I had to add that the reason I like my way is, I only dirty one bowl.
1. Grease one large glass bowl
2. Empty large bag fresh "mini" marshmallows into bowl
3. Sprinkle 4 Tbls. water over marshmallows
4. micro 20 sec. intervals (about 4 times) stirring each time with wooden spoon. Until marshmallows are almost "completely melted" and soupy. [It's at this time you "may" add coloring if you wish to color a whole batch]
5. Have 2lb. bag P. sugar open with measuring scoop handy.
6. Start adding P. sugar & stirring in till mixture becomes incoorporated and works almost into one clump. This will be about 1 lb. (Keep scraping it off sides)
7. Once its firmed up, Dump onto work surface and continue adding P. sugar with scoop in right hand and, kneading it in gently with left. And using bench scraper (with right hand) to fold fondant over. (It's a "scrape, fold and knead routine) and just keep working P. sugar in until it no longer is sticky feeling when you push into it. So, basically only your left hand is getting sticky, right hand stays clean using the bench scraper, and adding p.sugar.
8. Once it's no longer sticky, drop bench scraper and knead with both hands a bit.
9. Crisco up both hands and knead a few times and pat into ball and wrap in plastic. OR its ready to go!

You've only messed up one bowl and one wooded spoon! icon_lol.gif And I've never had this recipe fail me, even though I'm not really exact about the measurments, I just go by feel. (I usually end up using close to 2 lbs. of p.sugar.)

fondantfrenzy Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 10

icon_cry.gif <------tears of joy. Thank you all for your help, i guess there is hope, I am goign to try all your methods in the order given. I haven never tried the salt and lemon juice one. Does anyone know why that is done? Is that so that it is not as sweet?

The recipe that i used is as follows:

16 ounces white mini-marshmallows (use a good quality brand)

2 to 5 tablespoons water

2 pounds icing sugar (please use C&H Cane Powdered Sugar for the best results)

½ cup Crisco shortening (you will be digging into it so place in a very easily accessed bowl).

Then I do the melting in a glass bowl in the microwave. In the meantime I i sift the first pound of the sugar in the mixer and make a whole with the sugar so that it looks like a little tunnel. Then, i pour the melted MM in the hole, then i mix. Next i take the second pound of sugar then sift it in there and switch out the attachment with the dough hook. and mix. Its fine at that point and looks like it would be great. But once i pop it in the microwave an start kneading after it has set, then that is when i see the problems. Where it like starts to sepearate and doesnt have that elasticy look. What is that a symptom of when it has that look?

Anyhow, here is the pathetic tiffany cake that I made and was sooo embarrased to give my friend. The back of the cake had so many tears.
LL

mellormom Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 10

I can never get my fondant to turn out right if I use my KA. I always get little pieces of dried sugar or what ever it is and I'm spending a ton of time picking them out of the fondant. Even when I sift the sugar. So I just mix it by hand. After the MM's have melted I poor them onto the top of my powdered sugar mound on the greased counter and start kneading.
I like the scraper idea though! I may have to try that. icon_smile.gif
I'm nut free so If I did the Almond one I would replace it with vanilla.
Jen...

SILVERCAT Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 10:10pm
post #7 of 10

I can't get MMF to turn out any which way I mix it! I gave up on it a long time ago, when I got tired of throwing ingredients out! I use rolled butter cream (RBC) Good Luck.

JaLa90016 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 10:28pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fondantfrenzy

icon_cry.gif <------tears of joy. Thank you all for your help, i guess there is hope, I am goign to try all your methods in the order given. I haven never tried the salt and lemon juice one. Does anyone know why that is done? Is that so that it is not as sweet?

The recipe that i used is as follows:

16 ounces white mini-marshmallows (use a good quality brand)

2 to 5 tablespoons water

2 pounds icing sugar (please use C&H Cane Powdered Sugar for the best results)

½ cup Crisco shortening (you will be digging into it so place in a very easily accessed bowl).

Then I do the melting in a glass bowl in the microwave. In the meantime I i sift the first pound of the sugar in the mixer and make a whole with the sugar so that it looks like a little tunnel. Then, i pour the melted MM in the hole, then i mix. Next i take the second pound of sugar then sift it in there and switch out the attachment with the dough hook. and mix. Its fine at that point and looks like it would be great. But once i pop it in the microwave an start kneading after it has set, then that is when i see the problems. Where it like starts to sepearate and doesnt have that elasticy look. What is that a symptom of when it has that look?

Anyhow, here is the pathetic tiffany cake that I made and was sooo embarrased to give my friend. The back of the cake had so many tears.

This is the exact recipe that I used for my poker table cake and it comes out beautiful and tastes great too!!!

JaLa90016 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 10:34pm
post #9 of 10

I forgot to add that depending on where you live, you may not need the entire 2 pds of sugar. I usually only use like 1 1/2 pds. After the mmf is made, I wrap it tightly with saran wrap, and place it in a ziplock bag. I let it rest for a couple of hours. I haven't had any problems. Also, the next day, its still pliable and i don't have to microwave it or anything. I just put a little crisco on a plastic tablecloth and I am good to go.
Hope this helps.

cathie_shinnick Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:05am
post #10 of 10

I dont use anything but the bowl to melt the MM in. I pour 2# of PS on my counter. Sort of make a well like pie dough. I pour the melted MM into the center then push the PS toward the MM until it gets to the point htat I can knead it. It works every time. I do sometimes have PS left over if the fondant gets to the right texture befpre all of the PS is used.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%