Help With Icing Request - Bc With All Butter

Decorating By momtofourmonkeys Updated 9 Dec 2008 , 2:43am by Sweet_Guys

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 3:46am
post #1 of 12

I have had a request for a cake with bc made with butter and no Crisco. I need it to be a crusting bc. Will an all butter bc even crust? I love indydebi's recipe and usually use it for all my bc cakes but it contains crisco so now I am in need of another great recipe. Does anyone know of a good all butter bc recipe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Shanna

11 replies
newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 4:01am
post #2 of 12

Shanna, does the customer not like the greasy mouth feel of Crisco? Have you tried using a high-ratio shortening? It doesn't have that shortening taste nor is it greasy like Crisco is. You could try mixing half butter and half high-ratio shortening (sweetex or alpine are two good brands).

I haven't found an all-butter buttercream yet that really crusts well but maybe someone else has a suggested TNT recipe.

momtofourmonkeys Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 12

I will try out the high-ratio shortening. You are right about the reason... she doesn't care for the greasy feel left in the mouth. She is going off of her experience of cakes she has had before that were made by others.

Thanks for the help!

newmansmom2004 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 9:47pm
post #4 of 12

That greasy feeling is exactly why I don't like shortening b/c also. I don't mind the taste and I love how shortening b/c crusts, but that nasty feeling left in my mouth - ick!

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 12

Natural ingredients is all the rage around here. All butter butter creams are becoming very popular. I rarely use shortening anymore. All butter crusts BEAUTIFULLY. It is all about the proper ratio of fats to sugar, just like with Crisco. I've never had one not crust as long as the ratios in the recipe were right.

The first time I ever used this recipe, I was amazed. http://www.kitchenlink.com/cookbooks/2005/0743246616_4.html
I'd never seen icing crust so very firmly before!

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 10:00pm
post #6 of 12

Have you tried an IMBC or SMBC?
Though I don't know if they crust...they do taste great though!

I love Indydebi's recipe, too. I have some in the freezer I keep getting spoonfuls of.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 10:05pm
post #7 of 12

i think maybe in the uk, we only really get all butter butter creams, i dont think ive seen recipies with fat in them! i do a recipie with twice as much icing sugar as butter (ie: 4oz butter, 8oz icing sugar), a bit of milk and what ever flavouring. depending on how it tastes/ texture i might add a bit more sugar or milk.
im not entirley sure on the whole crusting thing, but i think youd say it does crust, because it does get so that if u try to sprinkle stuff on, it wont stick!
xx

newmansmom2004 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 10:28pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytarheel

Natural ingredients is all the rage around here. All butter butter creams are becoming very popular. I rarely use shortening anymore. All butter crusts BEAUTIFULLY. It is all about the proper ratio of fats to sugar, just like with Crisco. I've never had one not crust as long as the ratios in the recipe were right.

The first time I ever used this recipe, I was amazed. http://www.kitchenlink.com/cookbooks/2005/0743246616_4.html
I'd never seen icing crust so very firmly before!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, Ziggy - I just put this in my permanent file and can't wait to try it! The butter based b/c's I've tried have all been pretty soft and don't crust well but I'm excited about this one.

Julie

newmansmom2004 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 10:31pm
post #9 of 12

[quote="CakeMakar"]Have you tried an IMBC or SMBC?
Though I don't know if they crust...they do taste great though!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've made SMBC several times and it does taste wonderful - but it doesn't crust - at least not the recipes I've used. I usually do a venetian plaster type design on the outside of the cake when I use this in lieu of a really smooth finish like a crusting b/c. I know those who have lots more experience with SMBC than I have can get a nice smooth finish but I'm not quite there yet!

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 10:38pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

i think maybe in the uk, we only really get all butter butter creams, i dont think ive seen recipies with fat in them! i do a recipie with twice as much icing sugar as butter (ie: 4oz butter, 8oz icing sugar), a bit of milk and what ever flavouring. depending on how it tastes/ texture i might add a bit more sugar or milk.
im not entirley sure on the whole crusting thing, but i think youd say it does crust, because it does get so that if u try to sprinkle stuff on, it wont stick!
xx

I'm sorry. By "fat", I mean butter or shortening. The point being, either works!

And I've tried Indy Debi's recipe with all butter and it worked well. I just have to remark on the Magnolia recipe because of how incredibly well it crusted. I made some Superbowl cupcakes last year using the grass tip. I let them crust for quite a while and was amazed at how firmly they had crusted.

momtofourmonkeys Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 1:24am
post #11 of 12

Ziggy, this is exactly what I have been looking for! Thank you so very much! thumbs_up.gif

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 2:43am
post #12 of 12

Although our recipe is a trade secret (SMILE!), the ratios we use are as follows: 24 oz butter, 1 two-pound bag confectioner's sugar, 1 tbsp meringue powder, 2 tbsp water. If you want a liquor or wine based recipe, substitute the water for the adult beverages.

Our recipe crusts beautifully.

We used Toba Garrett's method of crumb-coating, refrigerating for 10 minutes, using a piping bag to coat the cake, and a dried-off hot water spatula to smooth the buttercream.

HTH

Paul & Peter

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%