My Dream

Business By mandy711 Updated 17 Dec 2008 , 5:41pm by deb12g

mandy711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandy711 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 2:54am
post #1 of 13

Ok, so I think I am finally ready to quit my day job and start a home cake business! I work on commision and the economy has changed everything! Any advice or pointers? Please!!!

12 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 3:01am
post #2 of 13

Congrats on getting ready to take the plunge! It's a very exciting and scary time!!

Since I don't know much about what kind of shop/business you want to be (converted garage? strip mall location? renting comm'l kitchen? full bakery or by appt only cake studio? etc) , the "any tips or pointers" question is pretty broad ranged.

I would suggest you start out by browsing the Business section. There are TONS of threads on this very topic that should give you information overload and actually make you dizzy with info! icon_biggrin.gif

That forum really is a goldmine of info. As you dive into it and gather more questions, bounce back here and we'll all try to help you with some specifics.
-----------------------------

dupl thread ... see add'l responses at http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6178788-.html#6178788

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 2:24pm
post #3 of 13

Not sure if I have any specific advice... best wishes to you! I would start out slowly, build up your customers before investing to much into a project.

Jen icon_smile.gif

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 13

Get legal! icon_smile.gif

mandy711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandy711 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 5:07pm
post #5 of 13

Oh sorry, I plan on finishing 3 rooms in my basement and doing it from my home.

Michele01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele01 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 13

I probably wouldn't start it right now with the economy. (But maybe at a different time) I had lots of orders this time last year, but nothing now. I don't have a cake until March. icon_eek.gif It's getting really frustrating. I usually book every consultation that I have, and the last three people didn't. They all found a friend or someone who could do it way cheaper. Which really agravates me because they are really selling themselves short. I am not trying to knock down your dream, I just know that my home bakery is not even pulling in a part time salary right now. But maybe your area is different? I would probably still want to pursue my dream, like you icon_smile.gif , so good luck with the start of your business.

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 5:55pm
post #7 of 13

I like Mechelle01 have no customers. But my other cake friends do so....
It all depends on what kind of cake business you want. Do you want to do less expensive cakes that are not to hard to make or do you want to do custom cakes that are a little more expensive and not everyone can afford? I think right now you are better off with the less expensive ones. I do the higher end and no one is buying.
Remember too that you will need to take the serve safe class which will cost you over $100 and you will have a health inspector fee which is due right before x-mas no matter what time of the year you started. (mine is $100 a year)
Jen...

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 7:34pm
post #8 of 13

Hang on to your day job. I am an accountant by day and work at a bakery Saturdays and Tuesdays night as a cake decorating. I love the creativey at my part time job. The owner also holds a day job as nurse at Kaiser.

We only specalize in organic, raw vegan and vegan wedding cakes so we make 2 or three cakes a month. Less stress.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 7:54pm
post #9 of 13

well since the "recession" the sales at my place have really spiked....so it .....i haven't had a slow week all year till thanksgiving week....good luck, i think you'll do great!

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 8:52pm
post #10 of 13

Congratulations!
I was hoping to quit my job next year too, but the way the economy is right now I'm definately hanging on my day job at least for another year.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 10:51pm
post #11 of 13

How about hanging on to the day and doing this part time like on weekends with so much change happening you dont want to be caught unawares-unless you are not necessarily reliant on your cake income for survival. Things are slwing down and come Feb it is expected to worsen. Good luck!

SpoonfulofSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpoonfulofSugar Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 12:31am
post #12 of 13

this is my dream too and I can't wait to quit my boring day job...I started the business and do it part time while working 40 hrs per week....it's not easy...i'm actually very busy and I'm not advertising yet...i think it depends on where you live...

My advice is to follow your dreams but take small steps....keep your day job at first then see where things go. Have faith that God will bring you though it....prayer and my DH get me through...it really is tough starting out and working until 1 and 2 in the morning on a cake and the going to work the next day

deb12g Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deb12g Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 5:41pm
post #13 of 13

I say go for it. I haven't seen any slow down in my area. As a matter of fact, things have been booming. It's hard to keep up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%