How Do I Elevate A Head?

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 9 Dec 2008 , 3:46pm by JanetBme

emiyeric Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 2:18am
post #1 of 9

I'm making a head with a powdered wig (for a John Adams book club event), and I want to make the stand-up coat collar and cravat out of fondant, but need a good way (besides an extra block of cake) to elevate the head off of the cakeboard to give myself enough space to make the neck details. I'm making the head itself with a ball pan ... any ideas? Or a particular cake stand that would work, perhaps?

Thanks!

-Emi.

8 replies
leah_s Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 2:53am
post #2 of 9

I'd probably use a piece of styro for stability and skewer into the bottom board. And cover the styro with the collar and cravat, of course.

emiyeric Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 3:22am
post #3 of 9

If I have to skewer it, what sort of material would you recommend for the bottom board? I'm sorry, I haven't done too many creative things with my cake boards just yet ... I appreciate your help so much, Leah!

Doug Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 3:52am
post #4 of 9

1/2 ball pan w/ upside down wonder mold (with its top 1/3 lopped off) would give more the mannequin shape.

another option --- do a variation on this cake -- http://frostingfun.blogspot.com/
just leave face blank...toss on hollow tubes of gumpaste for curls, detail out top of jacket of time period, etc.

leah_s Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 4:01am
post #5 of 9

My cakes are always on a cake drum for the bottom board.

emiyeric Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 4:51am
post #6 of 9

Thank you both for your suggestions! I'll be taking them for a spin this week icon_smile.gif.

sassycleo Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 5:12am
post #7 of 9

While I like the maniquin dummy that might not be easily attainable to get. You can still go about it that same way but use rice crispy treats and mold into the shape of a bust and place on top of the round cakes. that might make it easier to figure out serving sizes . Just price yourself good enough so you make money of the bust portion.

Doug Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:17am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassycleo

While I like the maniquin dummy that might not be easily attainable to get. You can still go about it that same way but use rice crispy treats and mold into the shape of a bust and place on top of the round cakes. that might make it easier to figure out serving sizes . Just price yourself good enough so you make money of the bust portion.

just about any wig shop or beauty supply will have them

and easily found online too.

JanetBme Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 3:46pm
post #9 of 9

If I did it- I'd get a wooden (mdf) base board. Cut a thick wooden dowel (1 inch thick one) Cut it the height you want the neck to be. Drill a hole in your dowel on both ends. Drill a hole in center of your bottom board. Screw the dowel onto your base board.

For the head support- You could do it with a 6 inch round board- Smaller would be better- you want it smaller than the fattest part of the ball. If you make it or cut it cut it more oval. Screw this board onto the top of the dowel- centered. You now have a strong base to make your head.

To make the face look more realistic- (make sure to use firm pound cake) stack it on the top board. Then, either fill in the edges with cake scraps or stiff bc- so that the bottom of the ball cake is no longer round- but more face shaped. icon_smile.gif then decorate as normal!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%