Idea For My Birthday Cake

Decorating By momma28 Updated 8 Dec 2008 , 2:09pm by stephaniescakenj

momma28 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 2:02am
post #1 of 8

Ok i keep making birthday cakes for everyone else and my birthday is on December 14th. It is a sunday so we will be with our homechurch family and I would like to bring a cake to celebrate since I make one for everyone else there. I am at a loss for an idea. Its so funny because I can always think of an idea for one of the kids at church or even the adults but for me im drawing a blank. I figure it will give me a chance to play with a new technique or something. Any ideas?? Interests...my kids and ...cake. Hobby...cake LOL

7 replies
kbak37 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 2:20am
post #2 of 8

I was just admiring the square whimsical cake pic on the home page..the extremely beyond perfect buttercream with the shades of brown circles.
It is gorgeous. Just a thought.

xstitcher Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 8:11am
post #3 of 8

There are soooo many cakes I'd love to try.

Do you have a particular technique you'd like to try? Do you want to make a round, square, stacked, sheet cake, or some other shape altogether? Do you want to use bc or fondant? What are your favourite colours? Maybe you could do something with a winter theme?

How about an outdoor theme with kids making a snowman or something like that? You could have a few snow covered trees around too.

Your interests seem to be on par with mine......

kandu001 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 8

I think that you should try a cake that you've always wanted to try making but have never had a reason to make it. You could also browse through the gallery to see if anything sparks your imagination! Happy Birthday to you!

momma28 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 8:09pm
post #5 of 8

I have a mold for a chocolate gingerbread house and some good ghiradelli compounding chocolate I was thinking of putting that on a large sheet cake and then doing a scene in the yard with Christmas trees and snowmen and such. I would love to try damask on fondant (wedding cake really) but I know some people use cutters for the damask pattern and I cant seem to find them.

Why is it always easier to get an idea for someone else LOL

stephaniescakenj Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 4:42am
post #6 of 8

Oh I just went through the same thing this morning. My birthday is Thursday and I had a topsy turvy class today so I decided to use the cake I made today as my birthday cake. I had too much free reign, couldn't figure out what to do. I ended up going with my favorite color scheme, Pink and Green and just made it up as I went.

What about the cake that has the slice cut out and placed on top? That's always fun.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
LL

momma28 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 1:17pm
post #7 of 8

i have always wanted to do one of those but no one at my home church really like fondant so i was thinking i couldnt make it in buttercream. Has anyone ever done that in a buttercream base coat and just used fondant accents...if so id love to hear about how it went.

stephaniescakenj Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 2:09pm
post #8 of 8

Absolutely do it in buttercream. I have two others in my pics that are all buttercream with a few fondant accents. The only reason I did fondant this time was because I was in a class and decided to follow the rest of the pack (although I am slowly becoming a fondant convert). If you decide to go the topsy turvy route, I would suggest steering clear of a severe angle and hammer your center dowel into your cake board, do a thicker base board and really nail that sucker in. Those two factors contributed to my first one falling over. I would also recommend following the topsy turvy tutorial on here as your method of construction, Ive made three of them so far, three different ways and the method on the tutorial looks the best and is the most solid method of construction (IMO, of course). Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%