Help - Asap! 1St 1/2 & 1/2 Cake...1/2 Done B4 The Other

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 7 Dec 2008 , 2:55am by Trixyinaz

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 1:19am
post #1 of 6

I'm making a half and half cake (half chocolate/half white in a 11 x 15 pan) and at the 40 minute mark, it appears my chocolate cake is going to be done before the white half of the cake....what do I do?

5 replies
AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 1:31am
post #2 of 6

I have never done this before but I would suggest covering the chocolate side tightly with foil. This should help. Good luck.

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 1:33am
post #3 of 6

Thats what I did, cover the chocolate side with foil, it seemed to help!

Trixyinaz Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 1:39am
post #4 of 6

Thanks. That's what I was thinking too, but wasn't sure. At 40 minutes both were not done, but the chocolate cake was just about done. At 45 minutes, the chocolate cake was totally done (but no responses and didn't know what to do), but the white cake was still not done. I rotated my pan (not sure if that helped) and set the timer for another 5 minutes. Checked it when the buzzer went off and it was done. All 10 toothpicks that I stuck it with came out clean. At 45 min. the white cake seriously looked like it had another 10 or so minutes. I wonder if rotating the pan helped. Maybe one side of my oven cooks faster than the other????

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 2:00am
post #5 of 6

could be ... my oven has a couple of 'hot spots' and I have to rotate cookie pans on a couple of the racks.

Trixyinaz Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 2:55am
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone. The cake looks higher on one end of the cake so I'll have to level it. Hoping its cooked tho. Off to go wrap it up tonight and chill so I can torte and fill it tomorrow.

Debi - is there a way to fix the oven or do you just live with it until you get a new one?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%