What Is Going On With My Cakes?!?!

Decorating By mlynnb Updated 7 Dec 2008 , 8:49pm by diane706

mlynnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlynnb Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 9:46pm
post #1 of 22

Ok, I am hoping some of you out there will have some wisdom to pass along to me....I only bake cakes as a hobby, but I have a wedding cake to do in April, so I need to find some answers before that.
Here is my problem: Every time (and I do mean every time) I bake a cake it seems to be higher on one side than the other. Now, I have tried somethings I have heard here on CC...the flower nail, baking at a lower temp, ect. I have a brand new oven (which I am sure is level) When I bake the cakes, they rise higher towards the inside of the oven, not the front or back.
Leveling a cake is the bain of my existence & I have a huge slice out of my finger from leveling to prove it icon_redface.gif , so I'd rather have it come out as even as possible. Could it be my pans (wilton dec preferred), or what?
Please, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!!

21 replies
enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 9:56pm
post #2 of 22

Not sure what would be going on. My first thought was double check to see if your oven is level. Sorry I can't be of help but here is a bump.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 9:56pm
post #3 of 22

Sounds like you need to make sure your oven is level. Never assume it is, new or not. Mine wasn't. I ended up wrapping some aluminum foil around parts of it just to raise the rack up in spots to make it level.

I would check that before doing anything else. Put a pan in the oven, and put the level on the pan, NOT the rack. Hope this helps!

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 22

I would definitely put a carpenter's leveler on you oven to make sure it's level. It could appear to be with the naked eye, but a level would be the best way to be sure. Good luck.

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 10:06pm
post #5 of 22

I also agree that your oven does not sound level. If you can't change that, try rotating the cake pans a few times while they are cooking.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 10:14pm
post #6 of 22

yep as everyone else has said......most likely your oven (OR the floor!) is not level.
You may have to make unusual adjustmentsicon_smile.gif

mlynnb Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 10:15pm
post #7 of 22

Thanks for the quick responses you all! Sounds like I need to make sure the oven is level. Oh, how I hope that solves my problem! thumbs_up.gif

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 10:19pm
post #8 of 22

I know that my oven is off a little and what I do is rotate my cakes every 15 minutes. I only do this bc hubby is able to take the time and level it, so I deal with it.

mlynnb Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 10:23pm
post #9 of 22

SILVERCAT wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

I only do this bc hubby is able to take the time and level it, so I deal with it.

That must be nice...my dh tries to disapear whenever I am baking (at least, he does after he licks the bowl!) icon_smile.gif

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 10:25pm
post #10 of 22

Just a thought, maybe one side of you oven isn't working. Check your heating elements (one may be out) or try using two oven therm one on each side of the oven and try checking them through the window.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 10:28pm
post #11 of 22

Probably your floor isnt level so you need to adjust your oven to accomadate it.

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 10:37pm
post #12 of 22

Another possibility, are you leaving the oven light on? I thought one side of my oven was hotter than the other because one layer would always bake quicker. But I had read about that on here, the extra heat would make it cook faster (duh, should have known that icon_lol.gif ) and ever since I haven't had a problem now that I leave the light off.

mlynnb Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 1:23pm
post #13 of 22

Serious_Cakes wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

Another possibility, are you leaving the oven light on? I thought one side of my oven was hotter than the other because one layer would always bake quicker. But I had read about that on here, the extra heat would make it cook faster (duh, should have known that ) and ever since I haven't had a problem now that I leave the light off.

Um, yes, I do leave my oven light on for most of the time! icon_redface.gif Never even thought of that.... I'm gonna try the level-in-the-pan thing first and go from there. Thanks again everyone!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 1:31pm
post #14 of 22

From your description (cakes rise higher toward the inside of the oven, noton the sides) it sure sounds like you're describing doming. It's not unusual at all.

Solutions to try: turn down the temp to anywhere between 300 - 325. Use bake even strips or strips of toweling, both soaked in cold water and fastened to the outside of your pans.

Of course, you can level after you take your cakes out of the oven. The best and easiest way to level a cake is with an Agbay. Barring that, a long serrated knife resting at the top of your pans will cut an even line.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 5:24pm
post #15 of 22

Ok, gang, this cracked me up! Why would you leave your oven light on? Are your cakes afraid of the dark? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Sorry .... couldn't resist it!! thumbs_up.gif

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 6:15pm
post #16 of 22

Hey, it's nothing to laugh about! My poor cakes suffer from claustrophobia! Leaving the light on makes them less scared icon_redface.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 6:38pm
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Ok, gang, this cracked me up! Why would you leave your oven light on? Are your cakes afraid of the dark? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

icon_surprised.gif I leave my light on!...I like to see the cake! icon_razz.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Dont ask me why! icon_redface.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 6:40pm
post #18 of 22

ME TOO! I don't want them messing around while in the dark....it's not play time, its serious baking time.... hee! hee!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 6:44pm
post #19 of 22

I have to turn my cakes around after 12 minutes in the oven, just when they start to rise but the batter isn't set on top yet because my oven heats more on one side than the other.....it's not unlevel the heating element is! lol you learn to work around it! My oven also bakes about 35-50 hotter than the dial reads.......I set my temp to just under 300 degrees......how rediculous is that??

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 7:04pm
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Oh Deb....

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 7:22pm
post #21 of 22

My oven sits level but my racks don't. I guess I should have thought of leveling them with foil, as suggested, but I never thought of that! I end up turning my oven timer on for 15 minutes and rotating the cakes around so they're level. Once I remove the cakes from the oven, I immediately place a clean dish cloth over them and flatten them with my hands or a flat object to get a level cake. Works like a charm and gives a nice dense crumb, great for wedding cakes.

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 8:49pm
post #22 of 22

Have you tried Wilton's Bake Even Strips? Edit> OOps! Sorry- I just saw that Leahs recommended that. icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%