Turned My Heater On And Now Icing Cracking?

Decorating By tdybear1978 Updated 7 Dec 2008 , 8:04am by sugarshack

tdybear1978 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 9

does turning on my heater have anything to do with my icing cracking. I use to have this problem and found out how to fix it (at least a way that worked for me) and then today I noticed the icing getting little hairline cracks on a wedding cake and the only thing that I can think of is that I kicked on my heater for the first time this season yesterday. Could this have something to do with it and what should I do to fix it? other then cutting off the heat and freezing to death haha thanks guys

8 replies
cakedivamommy Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 9

I am no expert but it seems that in the winter (when the heat is on) my BC seems to crack. I am not sure if it is the heat drying the BC out or not. The only solution I could come up with is to add a little more liquid. I hope someone else comes along and offers more advice.

kakeladi Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 9

You both need to add a bit more fat (butter or Crisco) toyour recipe - especially in winter.
Most likely the heat is drying it out. You really don't want to thin the icing w/more liquid but make it creamier.

tdybear1978 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 9

I have had some suggestions of adding some vinegar or maybe even some corn syrup, would this help and what does it do that helps? just curious

sugarshack Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 4:02am
post #5 of 9

yes the heater can do it

try more fat, and a little vinegar or corn syrup

indydebi Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 4:28am
post #6 of 9

When you folks say "heater" ... do you mean the one in your car? Or are you talking about the furnace in your house? icon_confused.gif

sassycleo Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 4:58am
post #7 of 9

I'm betting it's the heat in the house they are discussing. I noticed I had an issue with cracking if I let a cake sit overnight not in the fridge but boxed.

tdybear1978 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 5:44am
post #8 of 9

yes, it is the heater in my bakery. when you say add some vinegar or corn syrup, how much should I add and what is it doing to the icing that helps it? I am just curious

sugarshack Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 8:04am
post #9 of 9

i use 2-3 tsp in my 5 quart batch of vinegar

never did corn syrup

but if heater is drying air a lot even the vinegar wont help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%