Curled Floral Wires?? What Are They And Where Are They?

Decorating By pearldust Updated 7 Dec 2008 , 1:44pm by chookbrown

pearldust Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 10

Hi! I'm not sure what they are called....where can I can get those wires that curl over the cake and you can hang ornaments or edible accents from them? I'm pretty sure the straight ones are floral wires - are these the same? Where do I get them from?

I'm making a winter themed cake and I thought it would be cute if I hung snowflakes or stars from them.

Thank you!

9 replies
BakingGirl Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 10

I think it is just normal floral wire which you bend yourself. You can get them in craft stores like Michaels.

butterfly831915 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 10

I agree with BakingGirl. There is also wire in the jewelry deparment, sometimes a little bit more sturdy if it is anything heavy. I do believe these are what you are looking for.

diane706 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 10

Yes, Michaels, Hobby Lobby and even Walmart carry this wire in different guages and colors. They can really dress up a cake if you add beads or an edible accent like colored balls of fondant/gumpaste. MAKE SURE that the beads are attached securely and will NOT come off!!

newmansmom2004 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 10

You can get the silver wire in any craft store. It's either in the floral area or in the area with the wood/painting supplies. It comes in little packages of varying gauges. You can also purchase it at any hardware store like Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace Hardware, etc. It's very easy to use and can be bent simply by wrapping it around something round like a glass, a soup can, a cone shaped piece of floral foam, etc.

KathyTW Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 7:36pm
post #6 of 10

When using the wires what are you wrapping the base in? (The part that goes into the cake?) I can't imagine it's safe to just stick them in the cake!

tana Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 7:41pm
post #7 of 10
Originally Posted by KathyTW

When using the wires what are you wrapping the base in? (The part that goes into the cake?) I can't imagine it's safe to just stick them in the cake!

I will love to know that aswell.

BakingGirl Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 12:51pm
post #8 of 10

You can use floral tape. It is a fabric tape which sticks to itself when it is stretched. So you can use it to wrap the metal wire. I am not sure if it comes in all colours but I have seen it in different greens, white and brown. Again it will be available in craft shops and in florists shops.

lapazlady Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 1:05pm
post #9 of 10

Floral wire can be inserted into a straw that has been placed in the cake. It is preferred that nothing non-edible be inserted into a cake, a straw is an easy solution, easy to insert and can be cut to length.

chookbrown Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 1:44pm
post #10 of 10

I have used white floral tape and coloured it with food colouring to match my fondant or the colour of the cake. With floral sprays I try to design them to sit on top of the cake anchored with some gumpaste or fondant and do not stick them into the cake at all. Yesterday however I did stars on a cake with both straight and curly wires (curled on a wooden spoon) which were in fact inserted into the cake. I gave my friend a sheet of paper detailing all the non edible parts - 4 dowels, 17 wires, 1 cardboard cake plate etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%