Am I In The Ballpark (Pricing Question)?

Business By Nickilyn Updated 7 Dec 2008 , 3:34am by FromScratch

Nickilyn Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 5

I need help determining pricing. (Long Post--sorry)

I have a request for a stacked shoe box cake. The customer emailed me a photo that she found on a website. The cake has 3 stacked cake boxes with 3 shoes and a few other embellishements (coin purse, coins, and receipt made out of fondant or gumpaste). She only wants the cake to serve about 25 people and agreed to go down to 2 boxes instead of three. She wants one to be chocolate cake with a turtle filling and the second hazelnut with hazelnut filling.

I need to contact her today to finalize pricing. I searched on a local, established baker's site in my area. In her gallery she has a cake with 2 shoe boxes and one gumpaste shoe to serve 50 priced at $200. So based on that I was thinking to charge $100 for 25 sevings.

Should I just calculate based on labor and time or also the more specialty items such as the filling?

Also, does anybody have good recipes for turtle filling, hazelnut filling, and hazelnut cake? The customer was very vague on the hazelnut. She said the hazelnut cake was a tan color.

4 replies
costumeczar Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 5

I charge $150 minimum for the shaped cakes, and that's for a minimum of about 25 servings. It isn't the ingredients that drive up the cost on these, it's the time it takes to put it all together. It sounds like there are a lot of details like the shoes and coin purse, etc. that will take more time to make than you think. If she only wanted 10 servings it will still take you a long time to make all of the gumpaste, so you shouldn't charge her only $40.

JenniferMI Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 5

Sounds very labor intense. Until you actually do a cake, you don't really know how long it will take. Sometimes it's best to give an estimate, like it will run between 100.00 and 150.00 depending on time put into it.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Nickilyn Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 5

icon_smile.gif Thanks you all, she actually wants 3 boxes and 3 shoes now but wants to omit the coin purse and embellishments. She also said she wants between 25-30 servings. I was planning on baking 3- 9x12 layers, halving them and stacking to create 3-9x6 boxes. I was going to quote a price of $115. You are right, this is my first time doing this type so I really cannot determine pricing until I really get into it.

This is a college graduation cake for my Aunt's best friend's daughter. So, I will just chalk it up to a learning experience and adjust my pricing for the next one.

FromScratch Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 3:34am
post #5 of 5

First of all.. no matter how many servings she wants.. she has to pay for all of the servings you bake. For instance.. a single layer 9x13 is designed to feed 20 (24 if you want to get really technical). So 3 of them will serve 60.. make sure you charge her dor 60 servings. If you charge $115 you are only charging $1.90 per serving. That's a LOT of work for not much profit. Not to mention making gumpaste shoes takes time and skill.

I charge $5/serving.. now you might not want to do the same as me, but for all of the work involved in a cake like the one you are going to make.. charging $3/serving isn't outrageous.. that would be $180.00.. and charging another $50-100 for the shoes and embellishments depending on the size and complexity.

Don't short change yourself.. if you do give a price break or friend's and family discount.. make sure you let them know the full price and your discount.

Quote by @%username% on %date%