Need To Make Gumpaste Dry Fast!

Decorating By imartsy Updated 8 Dec 2008 , 11:16am by Tee-Y

imartsy Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 11

I'm making a dog cake and I need ears that stand up - pointy ears. It's a Pembrooke Welsh Corgi cake.

I made ears ahead of time - and they really didn't work - they were too small. So I made some more last night and they didn't work either - too curved, and they broke.

So what do I do now? I have a few hours - but I'm worried - what if these next ears don't work or break? What can I do? Any ideas?

10 replies
Justbeck101 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 11

You could try placing under a fan.? Or you could go to the store and buy some fourtune cookies and use them for the stand up ears....just take them apart. I dont know if that will work but it is worth a try. Just go to the store now so you have it before you find out if the gumpaste breaks!

imartsy Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 4:20pm
post #3 of 11

hmm not sure if the fortune cookies would be big enough - the dog is made out of the lamb pan - and their ears look so big....

FlowerGirlMN Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 11

oven on low, with the door open a bit

tinygoose Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 4:27pm
post #5 of 11

cardboard covered in fondant/gumpaste mix. it's not totally edible, but I bet it would work.

imartsy Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 11

hmm wonder if i have any cardboard around here- that may be my last minute idea

KatieKake Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 4:50pm
post #7 of 11

How about using chocolate, make some kind of a mold, out of cardboard, and cover it with plastic wrap so you can get the chocolate off the mold, not sure how it would work, but I would try it, or you could use fondant to make a mold the right size and shape, cover that with the plastic wrap, so the chocolate doesn't melt into the fondant. When in a pinch I'll most anything.

tinygoose Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 4:57pm
post #8 of 11
Originally Posted by imartsy

hmm wonder if i have any cardboard around here- that may be my last minute idea

Use one of those Wilton cardboard cake circles/bases. That's what I used for the Orca I did. I had the same problem, the gumpaste one was too small (and too heavy) for the fin.

Tee-Y Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 9:33pm
post #9 of 11

Heat up your oven for about 30mins, switch off and place the gumpaste items in it, they will dry fast.Good luck with the cake icon_smile.gif

imartsy Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 11:06pm
post #10 of 11

Thank you everyone for your tips. My gumpaste ended up drying on time and I just piled a bunch of buttercream around it and stuck it back in the fridge. Hopefully it made it to their party okay - they picked it up. I think it will have been fine though icon_smile.gif

You can see my finished corgi dog cake in my photos, if you're interested.

Tee-Y Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 11:16am
post #11 of 11

Wow imartsy! The corgi turned out just fine, lovely work you've done,welldone!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%