Can I Use Royal Icing On Butter Cream???

Decorating By bbfanny Updated 6 Dec 2008 , 10:56pm by nickshalfpint

bbfanny Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 4:17am
post #1 of 8

Hiya,

I am veeeery new to cake decorating. Will be decorating some cupcakes, with royal icing topers/deco. Since royal icing is too sweet and ppl normally will scrap it before eating the cake icon_rolleyes.gif , i was thinking to crumbcoat the cuppies with butter cream and top it with a layer of royal icing. however, since oil will normally 'destroy' royal icing:

will the royal icing melt/loose it's shape? or worst, the color would run?

Sorry if the questions sounds silly.......but if i dont ask, i willl never know!! icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
myslady Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 5:10am
post #2 of 8

Royal Icing and buttercream usually do not mix well. it would be better to use a petifour type of icing for your cupcake or fondant.

cakedivamommy Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 5:59am
post #3 of 8

Does BC not work well with RI when the wet RI is applied directly to it or when dried RI accents are put on the BC?

kakeladi Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 2:25pm
post #4 of 8

......since oil will normally 'destroy' royal icing: will the royal icing melt/loose it's shape? or worst, the color would run? ........
......Royal Icing and buttercream usually do not mix well......

***YES!***** RI items CAN be placed on b'cream.

For the most part there will be no problem -- **if the royal has been properly made**
It must be beaten until it stands in stiff peaks. Using a hand-held mixer this will take 7-10 minutes. Using a KA and warm water it will take around 3-5 minutes.
ColorFlo items can be place directly on b'cream.
RI flowers can be place directly on b'c too icon_smile.gif If the flower is thin - like say an apple blossom it can absorb some of the grease, soften a bit and turn color slightly but it willnot melt into a puddle! Roses are no problem because the are soooooo dense.

bbfanny Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 8

thumbs_up.gif . Thank you all so much for sharing.

ThreeDGirlie Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 3:06pm
post #6 of 8

In my experience, dried RI decoration on BC are not a problem.

But if you have to refrigerate the cake because of the filling, when you bring it out of the fridge, condensation forms, and THAT can mess with your RI. I made some butterflies whose wings "fell" when they were on a chilled cake and brought back to room temp...

kakeladi Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 10:42pm
post #7 of 8

ThreeDGirlie you're right......I forgot to mention RI decos should not be put on a cake that must be friged.

nickshalfpint Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 10:56pm
post #8 of 8

I did a royal icing plaque and let it dry for 2 days and the put it on buttercream. I did notice some spots where the butter was coming through the plaque, but I also didn't let the buttercream crust either. I wrote on the cake with RI and it was fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%