Can I Use Royal Icing On Butter Cream???

Decorating By bbfanny Updated 6 Dec 2008 , 10:56pm by nickshalfpint

bbfanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbfanny Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 4:17am
post #1 of 8

Hiya,

I am veeeery new to cake decorating. Will be decorating some cupcakes, with royal icing topers/deco. Since royal icing is too sweet and ppl normally will scrap it before eating the cake icon_rolleyes.gif , i was thinking to crumbcoat the cuppies with butter cream and top it with a layer of royal icing. however, since oil will normally 'destroy' royal icing:

will the royal icing melt/loose it's shape? or worst, the color would run?

Sorry if the questions sounds silly.......but if i dont ask, i willl never know!! icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 5:10am
post #2 of 8

Royal Icing and buttercream usually do not mix well. it would be better to use a petifour type of icing for your cupcake or fondant.

cakedivamommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedivamommy Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 5:59am
post #3 of 8

Does BC not work well with RI when the wet RI is applied directly to it or when dried RI accents are put on the BC?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 2:25pm
post #4 of 8

......since oil will normally 'destroy' royal icing: will the royal icing melt/loose it's shape? or worst, the color would run? ........
......Royal Icing and buttercream usually do not mix well......

***YES!***** RI items CAN be placed on b'cream.

For the most part there will be no problem -- **if the royal has been properly made**
It must be beaten until it stands in stiff peaks. Using a hand-held mixer this will take 7-10 minutes. Using a KA and warm water it will take around 3-5 minutes.
ColorFlo items can be place directly on b'cream.
RI flowers can be place directly on b'c too icon_smile.gif If the flower is thin - like say an apple blossom it can absorb some of the grease, soften a bit and turn color slightly but it willnot melt into a puddle! Roses are no problem because the are soooooo dense.

bbfanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbfanny Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 8

thumbs_up.gif . Thank you all so much for sharing.

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 3:06pm
post #6 of 8

In my experience, dried RI decoration on BC are not a problem.

But if you have to refrigerate the cake because of the filling, when you bring it out of the fridge, condensation forms, and THAT can mess with your RI. I made some butterflies whose wings "fell" when they were on a chilled cake and brought back to room temp...

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 10:42pm
post #7 of 8

ThreeDGirlie you're right......I forgot to mention RI decos should not be put on a cake that must be friged.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 10:56pm
post #8 of 8

I did a royal icing plaque and let it dry for 2 days and the put it on buttercream. I did notice some spots where the butter was coming through the plaque, but I also didn't let the buttercream crust either. I wrote on the cake with RI and it was fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%