Just A Little Emergency!

Decorating By paulstonia Updated 6 Dec 2008 , 2:40am by seagoat

paulstonia Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 1:36am
post #1 of 5

I have a wedding cake I'm making for a friend tomorrow and was putting whipped white chocolate rum ganache in two of the tiers. Now I've never made ganache before so I checked into it, so I made sure I used real white chocolate, ghiradelli bars, not the white chips because they have no cocoa fat in them. Thought I followed the recipe to the t,left it to cool in the fridge overnight, but now I've whipped it and it doesn't seem any thicker than reg. whipped cream. I just don't know what the consistency should be and I sure don't want it melting in the cake like whipped cream does. I left some in a bowl on the counter to see what happens and it thinned out a little, no actual melting yet. Help, can someone tell what it should look like. I I should whip it a little longer. Orif maybe I better fill them with something else? icon_confused.gif

4 replies
paulstonia Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 2:06am
post #2 of 5

help, amyone have an idea. I really need to put this cake together!

FullHouse Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 2:24am
post #3 of 5

I've had problems with consistency of ganache as well, and learned from trial, error and a helpuful friend. The best way to understand what ganache should look like is to know that it is a creamier version of a truffle (same ingredients, different proportions). Try adding more melted chocolate to firm it up, melt, cool to room tem, stir in and let it set in fridge. Ganache should set up in 30 min or so, if it doesn't, you need more choc. Don't give up, if you have time to fix it, it will be worth it. I was so upset my first time, then a friend explained it all to me and it really cleared things up. I hope this helps you. Good luck, let us know how it works out for you. For a last minute fix, there's always flavored BC filling and since this sounds like you are doing this as a favor, no one will be too upset besides you icon_smile.gif.

paulstonia Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 2:38am
post #4 of 5

Thanks.. If I add chocolate do I whip it again or just fold it in?

seagoat Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 2:40am
post #5 of 5

I would add it all together, chill it then rewhip it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%