Any Other Cc's With Super Dry Hands?

Lounge By cakedivamommy Updated 9 Jun 2014 , 2:40am by MBalaska

cakedivamommy Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 34

With cake making and it being winter my hands are very very dry (to the point where they hurt really bad). I am a compulsive hand washer while making cakes (and any other time but more so when I am baking) so that is the main culprit to my dry hands. I have tried so many different lotions on the market it isnt even funny. Am I the only one cursed with this? Any suggestions? Thanks!

33 replies
shelbur10 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 34

You're not the only one!! My hands are dry and cracked every winter. I apply lotion compulsively, but I haven't found one that really works. I think tonight I'm coating them in vaseline and wearing gloves to bed....my last ditch effort.

DianeLM Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 12:00am
post #3 of 34

I had it really bad a couple of years ago and discovered it wasn't the HAND washing that was killing me, it was the DISH washing!

Now, I wear gloves EVERY SINGLE TIME I handle the dishes - whether it's full out washing or just rinsing for the dishwasher. Any time I'm in contact with water, the gloves go on.

I keep a box of latex (or non-latex when I can find them) medical gloves under the kitchen sink. I can get a few washings out of one pair, but have no qualms about tossing them if they're full of icing or tomato sauce, or whatever.

Also, if you wear gloves more often when you're working, you won't need to wash your hands as often.

In the mean time, there are soapless hand cleaners that won't dry out your hands so much. I've found some really nice ones at Bath and Bodyworks. Of course, the names escape me at the moment. icon_redface.gif

xstitcher Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 12:56am
post #4 of 34

I find that glycerine hand cream works really well. I used some at my SIL's when there 2 years ago for vacation and it worked like a charm! Of course I didn't have to cook so the hand washing was reduced quite a bit but with 3 kids (at the time) I still did my fair share of hand washing.

After I tried hers I noticed that after my dr.'s office had the same thing and a few nurses I talked to said they used it too. They of course have to wash there hands after seeing each patient so that's a lot of hand washing in a day.

GI Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 1:27am
post #5 of 34

I use this: "Glove in a Bottle." I tried pasting a pix or a link to it, and the site won't let me. You can Google it on line if you want.

You can also get it over-the-counter at the Fred Meyer pharmacy. It works really, really well. You use about a pea-size. I wash my hands a ton and it will hold up for about 5-6 washes easy (soap included!)

I too, like Indydebi, wear gloves for cleaning and such. But the dry winter air really wreaks havoc! Usually end up wearing little band-aids on my fingers by January because my skin splits (ouch!)

This year, I've been running a cold-mist humidifier at night and honestly I can already tell a difference in my skin! I don't feel like a dried up prune anymore! icon_lol.gif

stephaniescakenj Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 3:34am
post #6 of 34

Ha I thought I was the only one with the "splits". i found the best remedy for them at least is to get a medicated ointment with a numbing agent. i put that on before bed with a bandaid and by morning they don't hurt anymore and they usually start to close up that day. Gold Bond makes a really nice hand cream too, I can't remember the name now. It's like Ultimate healing or something like that. I still have dry hands but they're not quite as bad.

GI Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 4:39am
post #7 of 34

I've done that, used Gold Bond. But I STILL end up with splits! And my customers see my bandaids all the time and ask about them...gets embarrasing! icon_redface.gif You know, this year I did pick up some Lubriderm "Intense Skin Repair" and that stuff is very nice. It's very spendy, tho!

Why does this stuff have to be so darned expensive! icon_confused.gif I've even tried using woolwax and wearing gloves at night. But gloves bug me so I end up taking them off in the middle of the night.
icon_biggrin.gif

Honeydukes Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 9:25am
post #8 of 34

My dermatologist recommended using a body wash for hand soap -- Dove Moisturizing Body Wash -- it doesn't dry out your hands as badly as regular hand soap. I get it on sale or buy the Target brand. When my hands are really bad I use an ointment she prescribed. She also recommended Aveeno lotion, which can be expensive, but is worth it.

The night gloves work well for me. I wear rubber gloves when washing dishes. I apply lotion before putting on the gloves and that helps, too.

Monkess Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 11:37am
post #9 of 34

Think 2 inches of vaseline! my hands are cracked with dryness!

cakedivamommy Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 5:02pm
post #10 of 34

Thank you all for your responses! I will have to try the glove trick. It is good to know that I am not the only one with the "splits". haha. Maybe we can all be splits hand models! I hope that something starts working soon b/c it is terrible embarrassing going anywhere, I feel like people are always staring at my hands, and the hurting.

Thank you for the advice and have a wonderful weekend!

paulstonia Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 8:28pm
post #11 of 34

I'm a letter carrier and the recycled paper is the worst. It's like it sucks every bit of moister from your skin. My hands crack too, the worst is when the crack right along the edges of your fingernails. I've gone to bed many winter nights with my hands throbbing.

GI Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 8:41pm
post #12 of 34

I've often wondered why working with paper all day causes my hands to dry out so bad, paulstonia. The letter carrier that I have wears some sort of gloves with the fingertips cut out. (He also wears this unique looking hat in the summer to prevent skin cancer).

Anywaaaaay, I looked at your cakes. You do great work! icon_biggrin.gif

cakedivamommy Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 8:42pm
post #13 of 34

That sucks about the recycled paper. Could you possibly wear gloves while you are delivering mail?

I hope all of our hands get better soon!

peg818 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 9:43pm
post #14 of 34

Well, this is going to sound crazy, but i started doing this when my kids were in diapers, cause that was the only time in my life that my hands weren't bleeding through the winter.

And that is A&D ointment, you know the stuff that you place on the babies butt when you change their diapers.

Well at any rate try slathering your hands with it before you go to bed and place a pair of socks on over night, Not real romantic but it gets the job done.

Some things i use during the day is any hand lotion with glycerin that doesn't have a ton of perfumes in it, nothing worse then placing hand lotion on to have your hands turn bright red and start burning like hec.

There is a product made to put on cows utters that works well to. Utter balm maybe, i'm not sure what its called but it comes in a tin. Also, another thing that works well is Burts Bees hand salve. I have been know to use dr scholls cracked foot cream too, its nice for during the day cream.

KoryAK Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 12:20am
post #15 of 34

I love aquaphor... a lot like vaseline but I think its way better. I put it on thick before bed and then put socks on my hands (gloves get all slimy and stretched out after a few nights) and then wear those same socks on my feet the next day... double duty softness! icon_smile.gif

I have ichthiosis too so my hands are thick-skinned and dry on a GOOD day... Alaska winter + caking just kills em. Aquaphor really does the trick.

mixinvixen Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 3:31am
post #16 of 34

"bag balm"...made for cows udders, little green square tin with wild strawberries on it. doesn't smell the greatest, but i used it the other night when i got out of the bath, grabbed a dollop and rubbed in it, then wiped my hands on the towel to get the excess off. next morning, my knuckles weren't blood red anymore or polka dotted, and my hands weren't burning.

TexasSugar Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 6:19am
post #17 of 34

Dawn makes a new Hand Renewal dish soap that helps from drying out hangs. My dad has the problems of the skin splitting on his fingers and since they switched to the new Dawn he hasn't has been having as many problems with the splitting.

Honeydukes Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 6:46am
post #18 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

... I put it on thick before bed and then put socks on my hands ... and then wear those same socks on my feet the next day...

Love this idea!! I will have to try it!

shelbur10 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 3:28pm
post #19 of 34

My sis is an Avon rep and yesterday she gave me a tube of Avon Basics Silicone Glove Hand Cream. Unbelievable the difference it made in one day!!

Callyssa Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 3:51pm
post #20 of 34

Some of this drying we're all experiencing may actually be a fungal infection.

My son has TERRIBLE hands all through winter and we had just resorted to using Bag Balm several nights a week, wrapping in plastic bags and covering in socks. It does work great and it doesn't sting like so many lotions. But it smells awful!

I finally asked about it at the Dr. one time when he was there for something else and he was adamant it was fungal, to which I turned my nose up on......he presribed a hand lotion that had a Eucerin base, an antifungal agent, and a mild antibiotic also, and that stuff is a DREAM!!! We covet it! Now I just put a call in to the Dr. when we need more and they call in a scrip for it.

I think you could concoct your own by mixing Eucerin cream or Lubriderm, triple antibiotic and something for Athlete's Foot like Lamisil, Lotrimin, etc., and you would probably get the same results. Keep in mind yeast thrive on antibiotics, so don't mix it without the antifungal or you're certain to turn it fungal anyway. All that water with frequent handwashing also is very conducive to yeast growth.

Also, yeast thrive on sugars, so with our hands in both sugar and carbs (which turn to sugar anyway) all the time it makes perfect sense that we could have a problem of a fungal nature.

But, you'll all have to be the judge, so give it a try and see what you think......

My feeling is, using great lotions or creams treats the symptoms but doesn't get rid of the problem that's causing it in the first place, which is why you have to keep reapplying over and over. With the prescription cream we only have to use it on my son about once every 1-2 weeks. It really does work. And it doesn't smell!!!

Cakepro Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 4:11pm
post #21 of 34

When I stopped using anti-bacterial soaps and switched to Original Jergens and Dial Clean n Soft with White Tea and Vit E hand soaps, most of the problems with my dry, cracked skin went away, except when I have long baking/decorating sessions because I wash my hands like crazy. Anti-bacterial soaps are terribly drying.

Also, after trying everything suggested in this thread (minus the antibiotics) plus a hundred other things, I keep going back to my tried-and-true Neutrogena Hand Cream. It moisturizes AMAZINGLY well and best of all, it never stings my cracked, irritated skin. I prefer the scented variety, which doesn't burn or sting, but it comes in unscented as well. I use it sparingly during the day but at night I put a nice generous application on and in the morning my hands are healed.

Ironbaker Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:06am
post #22 of 34

My skin is drier also and the excessive hand washing can dry them out even more. To the point where they feel all prickly on the fingertips, you know what I'm talking about?

I started using the antibacterial/moisturizing soaps at Bath and Body Works and that helps. (the ones that look creamy) They usually have shea butter and Vitamin E in them.

I also use Eucerin religiously.

Cakepro Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:17am
post #23 of 34

WOW ~ I actually got an email notification that there was a response in this thread. Hallelujah!

Monkess Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 4:26am
post #24 of 34

Also clarified butter-ghee is tremendous...the smell takes getting used to but it is natural and rich!

GI Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 4:18pm
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

WOW ~ I actually got an email notification that there was a response in this thread. Hallelujah!

icon_biggrin.gif I've been getting the emails, just can't leave any wonderful comments on the pictures. (Maybe today! icon_wink.gif )

stlcakelady Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 4:40pm
post #26 of 34

My sister is ill with MS and rheumatoid arthritis. She recently has had to take a ton of prednesone and pain killers and it swelled up her body like a balloon. Soon her feet started to crack with huge grooves, I guess from all the pressure. My brother is an occupational therapist and as such has to wash his hands constantly. He told her to try emu oil as he does. She tried it and it has started to heal up all the cracks. My hands are dry as well and I'm going to get some...cause if it worked on her horrible feet, I know it will work on my fingers. You should be able to find it at a pharmacy store like Walgreens.

Callyssa Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 4:48pm
post #27 of 34

I forgot about Emu oil; i know a lady who makes her own, eeeewwww! They raise the Emu's for their fur, they eat them (GAG!!!), and make oil to sell. It's supposed to be wonderful, but I don't know.....just don't know if I could do it!

GI Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 1:28am
post #28 of 34

Emu oil sounds just really nasty! But with the "splits" coming on, I would be up for trying most anything! icon_lol.gif

So what would it be called, "Emu Oil?" Probably not "nasty Emu oil that really works!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Callyssa Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 5:01am
post #29 of 34

Here's a little trick I learned in nail school (I'm a licensed nail tech).....squirt some super glue, or nail glue into the cracks. Stings like nobody's business at first but then it stops hurting altogether. Of course, you're asking how to prevent those splits in the first place, but in case you get them, here's something to try! Oh, and my Dad's podiatrist told him the same thing!

whiteangel Posted 7 Jun 2014 , 2:09am
post #30 of 34

Old thread but wanted to give a tip.  Buy some A&D ointment.  Get a pair of disposable gloves.  Soak your hands in warm water, do not dry them off, just shake them.  Add a bunch of ointment and just keep rubbing your hands and make sure to get under the nails.  Add more ointment and then put on the gloves.  I wear the gloves overnight especially when caking as my hands get to dry they crack and bleed as I constantly am washing my hands and cleaning up as I go. 

Hope this helps someone....blood in the icing just isn't cool!!!!!!!! :-D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%