Indian Custom Help

Decorating By deetmar Updated 7 Dec 2008 , 7:02am by xstitcher

deetmar Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 10:32pm
post #1 of 10

I am doing a tasting for an Indian bride and groom, and was wondering if anybody knew of any customs that I need to be aware of. I don't want to offend anyone and want to be prepared and knowledgeable.

I am very excited and really would love to do their wedding cake.

Thanks for the help.

9 replies
xstitcher Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 10

Well first off congrats!

Don't worry I'm sure everything will go smoothly and as far as I know you don't need to do anything special. Just treat them as you would anyone else during a tasting.

Cakepro Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 1:14am
post #3 of 10

If you mean Indian as in from India, they may be Hindu and thus have dietary restrictions. You should ask them BEFORE the cake tasting if cannot eat gelatin or eggs or milk.

xstitcher Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 3:16am
post #4 of 10

The majority of Hindu's can eat milk and eggs (except if they are vegan's) but if they are not vegan's than it is usually just beef they cannot eat.

It doesn't hurt to ask if there are any dietary restrictions you should be aware but I personally think it is up to them to let you know.

Cakepro Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 3:42am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

The majority of Hindu's can eat milk and eggs (except if they are vegan's) but if they are not vegan's than it is usually just beef they cannot eat.

It doesn't hurt to ask if there are any dietary restrictions you should be aware but I personally think it is up to them to let you know.

Most of the Hindu's I know ARE vegans, thus my suggestion to ask her about eggs and milk. icon_rolleyes.gif

Monkess Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 11:44am
post #6 of 10

The vegetarian question is important but I should think theat they would have remembered to tell you. You can offer them a indianized cake topper...i think that is really sweet...you know dress up the bride in red etc....looks adorable. Will try and upload a pic...oh and you might want to be prepared for the family to show up as well!

Magnum Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 12:02pm
post #7 of 10

I think you should just treat them the same as any other customer.
They may be meat eating christians icon_biggrin.gif

arwa Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 12:07pm
post #8 of 10

Im Indian, and eat egg. But its always better to check since there is a particular community within Indians that dont eat egg.

Monkess is sooo right abt the whole family coming up.... so dont mind tht !!!!!

As regards to customs there;s nothing really that u have to b careful of.... generally Indian wedding are associated with alot of Red and gold, so u could probably incorporate that in your design as well as some henna designs.... thats another thing thats typical for an Indian wedding...

All the best n do post in a pic !!!

deetmar Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 5:26am
post #9 of 10

Thanks for all of the suggestions. It's funny that it is the mother of the groom that I have been working with and she is wonderful. I can't wait to do the tasting and finially meet her and/or the familty. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Marilyn

xstitcher Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 7:02am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwa

Im Indian, and eat egg. But its always better to check since there is a particular community within Indians that dont eat egg.

Monkess is sooo right abt the whole family coming up.... so dont mind tht !!!!!

As regards to customs there;s nothing really that u have to b careful of.... generally Indian wedding are associated with alot of Red and gold, so u could probably incorporate that in your design as well as some henna designs.... thats another thing thats typical for an Indian wedding...

All the best n do post in a pic !!!

Hey me too! I personally eat anything I want but half my family is vegan and don't eat meat and some are to the extreme that you have to have separate dishes to cook meat/eggs in. Crazy stuff.

I agree about more than the bride/groom showing up. Usually Indian customs (again this varies depending on where there from and what the customs are) the wedding is usually paid for by the parents. When my brother got married it was split 50/50 between both sets of parents.

And yes definitely red/gold and henna are big for the weddings. Although some brides do choose to wear something from the red family ie burgandy, pink, fushia etc....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%