How Do I Roll Fondant

Decorating By idgalpal Updated 6 Dec 2008 , 2:30pm by kakeladi

idgalpal Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 12

I did one wedding cake covered in white fondant and I rolled it out on glass (because my plastic sheet thingy wasn't large enough) covered with powedered sugar. That worked okay, but there must be a better way. Then I did stacked books in fondant that I colored; one book gold one book maroon. I rolled these with powdered sugar also which was bad because my "books" had white powder all over them. I ended up taking a damp paper towel and wiping off the powdered sugar which actually gave the books a real leather look - lol! That worked, buit again, there must be a better way. Can anyone tell me how they do it?

11 replies
terrier Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 12

I use corn starch, I think that works a lot better!

stephaniescakenj Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 10:01pm
post #3 of 12

I have the wilton mat with the circle measurements on it. It's pretty big. I tape it to the table and roll it out with corn starch. I have better luck using corn starch over powdered sugar. plus you can just take a brush and brush off the excess corn starch.

idgalpal Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 10:05pm
post #4 of 12

Will the cornstarch brush off of a darker colored fondant okay?

FromScratch Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 12

You only need a teeny bit of corn starch to roll out your fondant. You can use crisco.. but I prefer the corn starch. If you don't use tons, you don't get much on the top of your fondant at all and it will brush off. icon_smile.gif Some people use vinyl mats too.. the Ateco one is good, but you can also buy a yard from walmart or the fabric store too. icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 11:04pm
post #6 of 12

I personally prefer Crisco over cornstarch, but when I do use cornstarch, I airbrush the cake with vodka to remove the cornstarch.

cathie_shinnick Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 1:53am
post #7 of 12

I had the same question not too long ago. I was using PS to roll my fondant. Now I use cornstarch it brusdes off, even on dark or chocolate fondant. If its not taken off enought though, I brush mine with vodka.

tracey1970 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 2:43am
post #8 of 12

I also prefer shortening (VERY thinly rubbed on my mat) to roll out fondant - just thought I'd toss in my two cents.

alanaj Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 3:02am
post #9 of 12

Great tip on the vinyl--thanks!
I also posted a similar question (corn starch vs. ps) and the resounding response was that corn starch was way better. One response also explained that the ps can change the composition of your fondant which can cause numerous problems. I've since switched to corn starch and it works like a charm.

BlakesCakes Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 3:59am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1970

I also prefer shortening (VERY thinly rubbed on my mat) to roll out fondant - just thought I'd toss in my two cents.

Me, too!

CS is a drying agent and can lead to elephant skin (or it can ferment if leftovers are stored over a long period) and PS makes things sticky.

Since you condition fondant by kneading in some crisco, it just seems logical to use another small dab of it for rolling out. I usually smear it on a piece of vinyl or silicone mat, but for huge pieces, just the countertop is OK, too.

Rae

idgalpal Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 4:51am
post #11 of 12

Thank you everyone!

kakeladi Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 2:30pm
post #12 of 12

One thing not mentioned that I was taught (I think by Earlene Moore) is to smear a very thin coat of shortening on your mat then wipe it w/a paper towel. The optimum here is **THIN** icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%