Can I Do This?

Decorating By shannon100 Updated 10 Dec 2008 , 9:37pm by mommaroxy

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 9

I'm making a cake tonight for my neighbor's birthday tomorrow night. She doesn't care what it looks like, as long as it says Happy Birthday and is Christmas-y. I saw this cake (the Christmas present) and loved it!! I only do buttercream, so I'm wondering what the best way to do this would be.

Has anyone made a bow out of BC? (I use the Wilton recipe, if it matters.) I was thinking maybe I could do it with the icing tip, but wasn't sure if it would turn out. I don't want it loopy like this one, just a bow like when you tie your shoes, you know what I mean? Or should I just to a FBCT? I figure I can still use the icing tip for the ribbons wrapping the cake.

Also, I've never used RI, so I don't want to experiment tonight. Can I do FBCT snowflakes and put them on, like in the pic? Would it work? Anyone tried a FBCT so thin?

Thanks for any input!

8 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 9

Here ya go! http://www.wilton.com/technique/Frosting-Bows

You'll probably want to use the largest rose tip you can find.

shannon100 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 9:49pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks! I'm not sure if that will work, but I'll try. The cake is a 12x18, and the largest rose tip I have is 104, so it won't be big enough to look good on the cake. I may just do a FBCT bow.

Anyone have an answer on the FBCT snowflake question??

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 1:12am
post #4 of 9

You can pipe the snowflakes right on the cake.
OR yes, you could do FBCT but would probably have to make them on a plaaqueicon_sad.gif I don't think such a small, thin item would work well.
Wellllllll as I'm typing this it occures to me you coul pipe them on plastic wrap, fz them then using a spatula life them off & unto the cake. This *might* work.

shannon100 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 2:01am
post #5 of 9

Thanks! I'll try the plastic wrap. I would really like the snowflakes to be the same, or to at least look perfect, and I don't think I could freehand it! I have some time tomorrow too, so I'll play around on it. I'll try to remember to post a pic when I'm done.

shannon100 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:46pm
post #6 of 9

I decided to finish the cake Friday night, so I didn't have to make a mess again Saturday, and I was tired, so I took the easy way out. My neighbor LOVED it, and so did everyone else.

I tried piping snowflakes freehand, and it looked terrible. So I decided to make it look like wrapping paper, with small flowers all over. I also made it look like little ribbons wrapped around, instead of one big ribbon. I tried making a bow with my icing tip, but I could never get it to work right. I gave up and just did a bunch of ribbons, like when you take scissors and curl the ribbon into a big mess on top.

Thanks for your input on the cake!!

ETA: Finally posted the pic to my photos!

mommaroxy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommaroxy Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 4:05pm
post #7 of 9

Sounds very pretty, but I didnt see it in your photos icon_sad.gif

shannon100 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 4:20pm
post #8 of 9

Can you see it now? It shows up when I look in my photos.

mommaroxy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommaroxy Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 9:37pm
post #9 of 9

I see it now!! I think it looks great! I was gonna ask how your neighbor liked it, but you already answered that! icon_redface.gif Glad she liked it! I like the ribbon look!! I will be working more with bc in the future. Hubby doesnt like fondant or think it will go over well in this area. I am on a caking just for fun break cause it can get costly. I get to bake this week for my sons bday so I am happy about that!

Again, I think you did a great job! Your other cakes are great too!!

~Roxanne

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%