Airbrush Help

Decorating By delosa Updated 6 Dec 2008 , 4:44pm by delosa

delosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delosa Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 10

I just got the Aztek A470 Airbrush Set for my birthday. I also received a compressor which can be adjusted from 0-60 ppm.

Which nozzle do I use for cake decorating. I bought some kopykat colors & some of the pearl colors.

I have tried several but never seem to get it right.

Thanks

9 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 10

I think I use the gray one for most everything.

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 10

I would like to know what nozzle too.

Thank You icon_smile.gif

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 10

I am sorry tiggy2 I didn't read your post before mine, so I know now it is the gray icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 8:40pm
post #5 of 10

I find 18psi is plenty to airbrush a cake. I go even lower for small pieces that tend to fly away. Don't know about the nozzle, I have an dual airbrush, Airbrush City brand. Remember to clean it after every use or you will be taking the thing apart alot. Have fun, I love mine.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 9:11pm
post #6 of 10

oooh, so glad to see this!

i got an airbrush LAST CHRISTMAS, and have yet to use it! (pathetic). anyway, i'm making a wedding cake today with a light champagne colored fondant. i considered spraying over with a light layer of pearl and gold, but am scared to death to just crank up the airbrush when i've never used it before. i know NOTHING.

any tips for an overall light spray of luster? (not thick or solid color, just a light shimmer).

psi, etc? thanks

mazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazz Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 9:24pm
post #7 of 10

I am looking into getting an airbrush and I am considering the azteco. Can you also use it for cocoa butter? I too would like to know more about this airbrush.

tinygoose Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 9:39pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

oooh, so glad to see this!

i got an airbrush LAST CHRISTMAS, and have yet to use it! (pathetic). anyway, i'm making a wedding cake today with a light champagne colored fondant. i considered spraying over with a light layer of pearl and gold, but am scared to death to just crank up the airbrush when i've never used it before. i know NOTHING.

any tips for an overall light spray of luster? (not thick or solid color, just a light shimmer).

psi, etc? thanks

I like Lucks brand "Pearl" shimmer airbrush color. They make gold, blue, etc too, but I use the pearl one to do an all over light shimmer. You don't have to turn anything up, just hold the brush back about 12" from the cake and spin the cake slowly on a turntable. Usually I airbrush it lightly with vodka first to get rid of any cornstarch marks, etc., then the shimmer. Don't use it on black, it will dull it and make it more gray.

tinygoose Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 9:42pm
post #9 of 10

You can also premix some pearl luster dust with vodka and airbrush that on too, just don't use water on fondant it will make it shiny.

delosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delosa Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 4:44pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks for all the suggestions. It will give me a great starting off point.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%