Will Fondant Rot / Mold / Get Icky (Er)?

Decorating By LanaC Updated 7 Dec 2008 , 7:13am by MacsMom

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 8

I have to make two elaborate cakes with fondant "stuff" all over them. Since I have a regular job and this is my hobby, I need to make in advance. How long will fondant figures "keep" and what do I need to do to "keep" them so that they aren't gross once I make the cakes?

TIA

7 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 8:14pm
post #2 of 8

As long as the items don't need to be soft, you can make them well ahead. fondant will last a very long time, protected from dust and light. It is best NOT to keep them in airtight containers. you want them to dry out. Some colors do fade, particular pink and lavender

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you so much. Naturally I'm doing a lot of red on white and I was worried about the red dulling or bleeding on to white.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 8

They shouldn't dull or bleed. They last for a very, very long time.

The only things you need to consider are whether the pieces will be the right size to fit on the cake and whether you need any parts to be flexible for placement on the cake.

kharvey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kharvey Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 8

I have a sleeping baby and a baby bum that are both made of fondant that I have used on several cakes over the last 2 years. After they "cured", I placed them in a zipper seal bag and pull them out when I need them. No mold or discoloration...so far. You should be okay. Good luck!!

curliesue26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curliesue26 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 9:52pm
post #6 of 8

How long does MMF last?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 1:39am
post #7 of 8

........How long does MMF last?.......

Under the same conditions, they last the same as fondant &/or gp.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 7:13am
post #8 of 8

In the freezer, I'd almost say indefinitely! The only thing to be wary of is if it isn't wrapped super-tight and several times in plastic wrap, after a generous coating of shortening has been applied. This is all to help prevent a shell of sorts from forming - a crust from air getting to it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%