Question About Fondant Figurines

Decorating By nicole379 Updated 6 Dec 2008 , 10:30pm by Meemawfish

nicole379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicole379 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 10

My husband voluntered me to make a cake for his company christmas party. (EEK!) After looking around, I decided to try and make a winter wonderland scene with penguins and an igloo and trees. I've never made a fondant figurine before so the penguins are the only thing about this cake that is scaring me.

How soon can I start making the penguins? The party is Dec 19th. Do I need to keep them in an airtight container or let them dry out?

9 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 10

you can make them now.... air dry them... or let a small fan blow on them overnight... just cover them with a paper towel until you use them.. aine2 has a tutorial on penguins... you have to join her site... she then oks it.... then you get to see these penguins.. my computer has been messed up for a while.. i cannot see them yet... but i will .. hth go on her blog... it will take you thru the steps of seeing her penguins..

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 10

You need to let the figures dry out. Using fondant alone is fine but it does take longer to dry out then if you use a 50/50 mix of fondant & gum paste. Or you could add tylose or gum-tex to you fondant.

You can make the figures now that you don't have to worry about them being dry for in time for the party and it's one less thing for you to have to do.

Good Luck! icon_smile.gif

aine2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aine2 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 10

I have little videos on how to make a Christmas tree and Snowman on my blog www.extra-icing.blogspot.com and I also have a video on how to make Christmas Penguins but this can only be accessed through my website if you're interested www.extraicingonthecake.com

Add some Tylopur to your fondant or use gumpaste so that your models will keep their shape. Keep them in a box or a tin in a cool, dry area....not a plastic container. Your models will be fine making them this far in advance, even gives you a little chance to practice with your penguins! You'll do great, just wait and see. icon_wink.gif

aine2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aine2 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 7:37pm
post #5 of 10

Snap! icon_lol.gif You beat me to it! thumbs_up.gif

nicole379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicole379 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 8:09pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks so much everyone!!!

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 5:43pm
post #7 of 10

I don't mean to hyjack this post but why can't you keep them in a plastic container? icon_surprised.gif

lchris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchris Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 7:15pm
post #8 of 10

Meemawfish, that's what I want to know. Anyone??

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 7:33pm
post #9 of 10

I would imagine it traps moisture so they couldn't dry. It would hold on to any moisture still left after you thought they were dry and droop.

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 10:30pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks cakemakar. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%