Chocolate Covered Rct

Decorating By l80bug79 Updated 8 Dec 2008 , 5:15pm by KHalstead

l80bug79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l80bug79 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 2

I've done some chocolate covered rct for my son's class at halloween and they turned out ok. but now i've gotten more orders for them and i'm wondering if there's any tricks of the trade anyone has for doing these. seems like i waste a lot of the chocolate when i'm doing these and they're not that smooth. i'm adding a little oil to the chocolate when i'm melting it to make it a less thick, but not too runny. and i just submerge the rct in the chocolate or if they're not staying together good, i just pour the chocolate on top of them in a baking pan lined with parchment paper (hence the waste of chocolate) i use the premade rct bars (b/c i've never been good at making rct from scratch that aren't gooey and they just fall apart.)

1 reply
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 2

when you melt the chocolate add some crisco to it, not oil because it will thin it while the chocolate is warm, but it will set up when the chocolate cools, oil won't set up. Also, try freezing your rkt first and then dip them, also any left over drips of chocolate can be remelted and reused, I melt it and put it through a sieve (gets out any rk pieces that may be in there) and reuse it for more dipping when I make cake balls and stuff.

Also if you're having trouble with your homemade ones being too soft, try adding more rk and less marshmallow and also cut down on the butter and add butter flavored extract, it helps them set up more firmly without losing any of the buttery goodness. I do this when I make molded r.k.t. pieces for cakes (most times I completely omit the butter, but if you do that they set up really firm!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%