Cake Sitting On Smaller Cakes???

Decorating By Melody25 Updated 5 Dec 2008 , 6:24pm by Melody25

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 6

I was asked by my sister to make a Tinkerbell cake for my nieces 4th birthday (Im not getting paid for it) I want to put a 10 or 12 inch cake on top of 4 or 5, 6 inch cakes. How would I support the top cake???

5 replies
pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 6

you can make the smaller cake a dummy so that it holds the weight ...

or if not make sure u use sometype of plate and dowel system...

i use the one that wilton had with the hidden pillars... and then the plate sits on that...

if im wrong i hope some else knows....

hth

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 6

Same way you would support a smaller cake on top... just just extra/extra strong dowels and make them closer to the outer edge than normal (but not too close!!) so that they weight it supported. Definitely use a center dowel hammered all the way down into the display board.

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 6:10pm
post #4 of 6

Make sure that the board that will be under the cake on top is very sturdy. I would probably use foam board and maybe even double it up so you can make sure that the edges of the cake are supported well. I would not use just one layer of cardboard, it would probably spell tragedy! Good Luck!

cakesbymindysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymindysue Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 6

You're talking about something like this, right?

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1291673.html

Something like that I don't think you'd really need extra support, but it depends on how far out the bottom cakes are. If they will be close together I think you'd be fine with whatever board you normally use. However if it's going to be the top layer over just the inside edges of the bottom cakes, then you'd need a thicker board for the top layer.

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 6

I have a 10 inch plastic cake plate from Wilton... would that work to use to support the top cake then just dowel the smaller ones? maybe get a small cylinder of Styrofoam to set under the plastic piece to hold up the bigger cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%