Speaking Of Problems...how Do You Handle This?

Decorating By Shirlcantuck Updated 6 Dec 2008 , 12:40am by TexasSugar

Shirlcantuck Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 5:21pm
post #1 of 13

I use wiltons colors from my local hobby lobby. When I paint with them I usually add lemon oil or clear vanilla or almond extract. The problem is they never seem to dry. Even when I allow the cake/painted item to sit overnight, it is still wet to the touch the next day. I once painted the rails of a baby bed cake and when we sliced the cake our fingers were colored. Any ideas? (I pray for an airbrush machine for Christmas)

Thanks in advance!

12 replies
pinklesley1 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 13

that happens to me also... i one time tried to use airbrush paint... but did not get that nice... thick color...

but hopefully someone will know

juleskaye518 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 13

First off I would not use anything with oil in it. I think vodka is awesome. And I dont mean to drink either!! The alcohol content is so high that it will dry super fast. I went to the liquor store and got an airline sized bottle and just keep it in my cake box. (I guess if your cake starts making you mad you could always take a swig!!)

terrier Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 13

I am now using just vodka with my colour and it dries nice...

Cheers,
A

KoryAK Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 13

You can still paint with airbrush colors even if you don't have a machine. Maybe do a couple of coats if its too thin for you.

diane706 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 13

I agree with juleskaye, don"t use any oil!! You should use lemon EXTRACT. I find this dries really well.

tinygoose Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 10:33pm
post #7 of 13

I was playing around with this a few weeks ago. I used gel color mixed with thinned royal icing and it worked. I remember trying the RI thinned with vodka too, but it affected the colors too much if I recall correctly. It leaves a nice thick 3d sort of look too. I thinned the RI with water to the consistancy of paint. The only thing I didn't care for was that it dried flat not shiny, not sure if anything can be done about that, but it looked cool.

DebBTX Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 10:41pm
post #8 of 13

I have only used a dry paint (like luster dust) mixed with Lemon extract to paint.
Are y'all getting better results by using a gel or food color?

-Debbie B. icon_biggrin.gif

BakingGirl Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 10:42pm
post #9 of 13

Lemon extract, rather than lemon oil, has a really high alcohol content which means the paint dries quickly. I prefer it over vodka which is not as high in alcohol.

mbelgard Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 11:53pm
post #10 of 13

Everclear is even better than vodka because it has a higher alcohol content. I'm not willing to try lemon extract because I'm worried that it might leave a lemon flavor behind and everclear is tasteless.

1234me Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 12:13am
post #11 of 13

you will LOVE how quickly everclear dries! It is the best I have tried and I have tried vodka and lemon juice!

Shirlcantuck Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 12:28am
post #12 of 13

Thanks all. Great information. I think I will try the everclear; that way if the paint doesn't dry at least we will be blitzed and won't mind! thumbs_up.gif

TexasSugar Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 12:40am
post #13 of 13

I'm a big fan of everclear when painting. If you can't get it in your state, you can also use gin or vodka, basicly something clear and high in alcohol content.

I also really like airbrush paints as well. I used them on my skateboard cake, the spots on the cows and the wheels on the western wedding cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%