Question About Pricing.....

Decorating By aunt_dodo Updated 5 Dec 2008 , 7:47pm by indydebi

aunt_dodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt_dodo Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 5

I found a cake browsing through the galleries of a cake...and the customer LOVED it. I quoted her a price and she flipped out saying it was way too much....Just wondering what you lovely cake people (who have been doing this longer than I) would charge for it. As you can see it has lots of fondant and the layers were to be 10" and 6". Thanks!

Here is a link to the cake here on CC.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1193259
LL

4 replies
pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 5

i would charge what you normally charge for the cake part, then add about $10 for the tiara and $5 for the bow and if you want $5 for all the other decoration...

if i were doing it...i would charge 44 slices x $3 = $132 plus
Tiara $10
Bow $5
flowers $5

Total $152

cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 5

I would probably charge around $150 for this cake. I only charge $2.50 per serving, but I would charge extra for all the fondant roses around the base of the cake. I hope that helps. And just on a side note, most people want a beautiful cake and expect it to cost the same as a sheet cake from the grocery store so I get that "HOW MUCH!!! icon_eek.gif reaction a loticon_smile.gif

Edited to add: ok I lied, I just realized that this cake is covered in fondant so it would be more than that. Probably about $180.

daniassis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daniassis Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 5

I would charge at least $150. If she wants a cake for 20 bucks you can always "refer" her to the closest Walmart... icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 5

6/10 serves 12/38 = 50 servings x $4.50/serving ($3.50 regular price plus $1.00/serving for fondant)= 225.00. Plus a fee for the tiara (and I tried making one of those once.... you really can't pay me ENOUGH to do those!) plus a charge for the bow, which I MIGHT waive the bow fee just because I'm a nice guy icon_twisted.gif .

I tend to ask how much they were wanting to spend FIRST. When they pause and do the "well........" thing, I interrupt and tell them, "Let me explain right now ... I don't DO walmart cakes, and my cakes aren't priced like walmart cakes."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%