Help!!! Marshmallows Didn't Melt Properly...

Decorating By Starkie Updated 5 Dec 2008 , 12:23pm by Kitagrl

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 11:43am
post #1 of 4

I have a cake disaster in the works, here! My marshmallows didn't melt properly in the microwave and I don't know why! They were stored on top of the fridge and slightly melted together in the bag when I used them, but when I melt them all I get is a rubbery mess, no soupy mixture like I normally get. (Yes, I added my water and flavorings.) What can I do? This is my last bag of MM, and the cake is due this evening.

Of course, this is to re-fondant a 2-tiered cake whose layers took FOREVER to cook (I'm talking almost 2 hours!), because I tried to air-brush it to look tie-dyed, and it came out a mess. So I have to re-cover it, because there is no painting over it! Any help or words on encouragement would be helpful here!

Thanks, all!

<Starkie>

3 replies
SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 11:55am
post #2 of 4

I gave up trying to make MMF, I use Rolled Butter Cream (RBC)! It comes out so much better and taste better too! Good Luck.

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 12:08pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERCAT

I gave up trying to make MMF, I use Rolled Butter Cream (RBC)! It comes out so much better and taste better too! Good Luck.

I tried to use rolled buttercream once to cover a 10"x4" cake and it was a disaster! It was way too soft and ripping and stretching. I know you have to be more careful when using the rolled buttercream, but how do you use it without running to issues like I did? Is there a way to make it thicker? Could it hav been the recipe?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 12:23pm
post #4 of 4

Sorry about this, hope your cake turned out okay.

I gave up making my own fondant awhile ago. Too much time/work involved and no guarantees (at least for me) that it would turn out right. I use alot of fondant, so I just buy Satin Ice and make sure my cake costs cover it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%