Powdered Wig? Or Any Other Ideas!

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 21 Mar 2014 , 1:39am by fennychow

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 4:21am
post #1 of 7

Argh! So, I tried to get out of making a cake for one of the big wigs at work, since it's for a very small get-together and really, the work for such a small cake is barely worth what I would get out of it (and I'm horribly busy right now as it is!). I even tried setting the price on the high side of what I would really charge, and telling her I thought it would be too pricey, encouraging her to go another route. Well, she very graciously told me that she would be happy to pay my big price for an "extra special incredible" cake ...

So I'm stuck! AND I have to make an extra special incredible cake Wink

So I need a little help. Her cake is for a book club meeting, where they're reading about John Quincy Adams. I was thinking maybe a ball pan cake with a powdered wig over it? Probably fondant ... I don't want to make a face on it, just leave it as a mannequin sort of thing with the wig on it. Any ideas? Please help! Smile

-Emi.

6 replies
BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 4:38am
post #2 of 7

Can you get an edible image of pages of the book they are reading? If you can, you can make a stack of books, or an open book. Might be easier and less time consuming than sculpting wigs.

emiyeric Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 4:49am
post #3 of 7

I had thought of making a book, but carving a book would require a lot of work on a larger cake (this is a 12-person event, and using one of my rectangular pans would feed far more people than they need, and make it even more expensive, I think. That's why I was thinking the wig might be easy to make purely out of sugarpaste, fondant, pastillage, whatever (I really like using those things, and generally don't have too much difficulty with it). But you're right, I might just make an 8-inch round with a small book up on top. Hence, my dilemma! icon_smile.gif

Thanks for your ideas! icon_smile.gif

coffeechick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coffeechick Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 4:57am
post #4 of 7

cotton candy anyone? that might work.

emiyeric Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 2:12pm
post #5 of 7

Cute idea! Do you think the ball pan should be a hat stand/mannequin figure, then?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 10:06pm
post #6 of 7

1/2 ball pan w/ upside down wonder mold (with its top 1/3 lopped off) would give more the mannequin shape.

another option --- do a variation on this cake -- http://frostingfun.blogspot.com/
just leave face blank...toss on hollow tubes of gumpaste for curls, detail out top of jacket of time period, etc.

fennychow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fennychow Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 1:39am
post #7 of 7

Fashion is a hot topic in people's modern life.To pursue fashion and beauty,more and more people spend much time in their daily dress and hair style.To make changeable hairstyle some people choose to wear various types of hair wigs including short blonde wigs,straight wigs and wavy wigs and so on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%