Santa And/or His Reindeer On A Bike?

Decorating By TinkerB Updated 5 Dec 2008 , 6:33pm by karateka

TinkerB Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 2:54am
post #1 of 2

First, let me start by saying that in my short time here on CC I've never had to ask a question b/c y'all are so awesome & have already asked great questions with even better answers - so thank you!!! Thjis is the best site anywhere with really great members!!!!

Now onto a strange cake order - I was asked to make a cake for a Bicycle Shop's Christmas party. They asked if I could make a Santa on a bike or his reindeer on a bike - something really humorous. Do any of you have any advice for a newbie? I've made a scarecrow that was too heavy & sank into the cake - how do I make a bike & have a figure riding on it without it either falling over or sinking in?

Any & all ideas are welcome!!!

1 reply
karateka Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 2

I would definitely make the bike out of a heavy duty wire and dowels and cover in gumpaste. I'd attatch it to a board that you cover in gumpaste to either blend in to the cake or look like a trail or road that the bike is riding on. Then you can put your figure on the bike without worrying about it sinking into the cake.

Your figure and bike would need to be scaled to not be too heavy. If you need them pretty big though, definitely use the wire inside the bike and carve your figure out of styrofoam and cover it in gumpaste, to lighten up on the weight. I did the astronaut in my photos like that and he was very lightweight for his size.

I'm sure the master (Doug) would have more/better ideas if he's browsing the forums today.... icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%