Christmas Mice...

Sugar Work By DsLady614 Updated 17 Dec 2008 , 5:14pm by traceyjade

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 2:28am
post #1 of 12

I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance on making the little Christmas mice. I bought a jar of cherries with stems, and some dipping chocolate (being a little isolated here, I thought that was my best option). So, do you dip all the cherries and let them set first, before assembling? Or is there another way of doing it? How do you attach the ears to the head? Or for that matter the head to the body? OR... the whole guy to the cookie?

I'm pretty sure this is all easy and straightforward, but I want to make sure I'm not making this hard than it needs to be.

Thanks in advance for the help!

11 replies
justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 12

I don't know if someone has an easier way, but this is how I do them.
I lay the ears down, then put a couple drops of chocolate on them and lay the head on. After they firm up, I dip the cherry in the chocolate and prior to it setting, I attach it to the head. I do this on the cookie so that it attaches to the cookie at the same time.

cmp24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmp24 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 12:04am
post #3 of 12

ok do you have picture of these little guys you are talking about here? I'm a visual person when it comes to things like this lol

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmp24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmp24 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 2:18am
post #5 of 12

Thats just to cute!!!!!

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 6:05pm
post #6 of 12

thanks

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 2:24am
post #7 of 12

I read from someone on this site to first wrap the cherries in fondant and then dip in chocolate. It makes it taste like a cherry cordial. Then add the candy kiss with the dipping chocolate and so on.

HTH

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 3:06pm
post #8 of 12

I just made these for my son's preschool, which is nut-free. So I used frosted flakes for the ears and they aren't too bad! I used the white-fudge frosted oreos and drained the cherries for about an hour on a paper towel. Dipped in chocolate, attached the cherry to the kiss, place on the frosted flake ears, and later added red bows in the "hair" for girls and a bow on the cookie for boys. I used black frosting for faces, but I love how tiacakes used white for her eyes, it makes them more child-friendly. icon_smile.gif They are always a huge hit, my son won't eat the cherry but he loves the kiss and the cookie. He won't eat nuts either, so he liked the cereal ears this time. icon_smile.gif

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 3:44pm
post #9 of 12

these are lovely. Does anyone know of a uk sweet I can use in place of the kisses to make the head

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 3:49pm
post #10 of 12

Hmmm......what do you think could be used in place of the cherries?? I've been "elected" to do cupcakes for my son's class (by my dear son.....thanks so much....!!!) , but I'm sure they're all cupcaked out! I'd rather do something like this, but I imagine there will be a lot uneaten just because of the cherry........ I don't know......

I was wondering about using Malted Milk Balls......any better suggestions? Also, what would I use for the tails then?

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 5:00pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callyssa

Hmmm......what do you think could be used in place of the cherries?? I've been "elected" to do cupcakes for my son's class (by my dear son.....thanks so much....!!!) , but I'm sure they're all cupcaked out! I'd rather do something like this, but I imagine there will be a lot uneaten just because of the cherry........ I don't know......

I was wondering about using Malted Milk Balls......any better suggestions? Also, what would I use for the tails then?

fine licorice might work with the malt balls, but that seems like extra work. icon_smile.gif

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 5:14pm
post #12 of 12

You can use anything really, choc jubes, malt balls ect. After you do that just pipe melted choc tails, or candy colors you can use any color then thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%