Red Gumpaste Roses- How To Get The Deep Color?

Decorating By akgirl10 Updated 6 Dec 2008 , 1:44am by kaseynh

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 1:39am
post #1 of 8

I need to make a bunch of red roses to cascade down a cake. How do i get the deep red? So far all I can come up with is fuschia! Is this what I would use petal dust for? I'd have to order it so I'd like some advice on what to purchase.

Do people ever airbrush the flower after it's made?

TIA!

7 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 2:12am
post #2 of 8

Yes, that is what petal dust is for. Make some red gumpaste, or even a "red family" color, and get some red petal dust. There are several shades available, from maroon to red to deep pink, burgundy, etc. It just depends on what you want. I'd browse global sugar art and see what color pops your cork.

Dust it on and steam the flower.

You can use an airbrush, but it doesn't give as nice a color as the dust, and the flower won't look as authentic.

preciosa225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preciosa225 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 2:53am
post #3 of 8

I don't have a ton of experience, but I did make some red gumpaste flowers for my final cake class assignment (picture is in my photos). I did exactly this. I dyed my gumpaste red and then when my roses were dried I dusted them with red petal dust. I also did this with the other flowers in that arrangement and I think they came out pretty good. I just dyed the gumpaste a certain shade and dusted with petal dust in the same family but a darker shade. I didn't think of steaming them but thanks Karateka! I will definitely keep this in mind for the next time!

akgirl10 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks for your reply. What does steaming do to the flowers? Will a clothes steamer work?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 11:02pm
post #5 of 8

A clothes steamer will work just fine. The steam sets the petal dust so it does not come off.

akgirl10 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 1:33am
post #6 of 8

That makes sense, thanks!

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 1:38am
post #7 of 8

I hear it also sort of blends it so it has a more natural look, rather than a painted on look. I will be trying it in a week or so.

kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 1:44am
post #8 of 8

I just finished a cake this afternoon w/red poinsettias. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1291905 I purchased the red gumpaste from Global Sugar Art. It is made by Marcela Sanchez and it is wonderful to work with. You can roll it out very thin and it doesn't tear. The color deepens some when it dries. You could also add some color to it if you need it darker. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%