Icing A Cake With Sps And Foamboard????

Decorating By Suzycakes Updated 5 Dec 2008 , 4:32am by leah_s

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 10:44pm
post #1 of 5

I am making an oval shaped wedding cake for this weekend. Of course the SPS plates do not come in ovals. So in talking with Leahs earlier about this she suggested I cut foamboard to put the cakes on and then use round SPS plates for the construction of the cake.

Now my question is: Do I ice the foamboard as if it is part of the cake? I am using 1/2" foamboard and the borders will be only a small bead border around the bottom of the tiers.

I'm thinking this is the only way to ice this cake but is there some difficulty ahead of me icing the foamboard that I am not seeing? Any ideas and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Suze

4 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 1:44am
post #2 of 5

Hi. ::waves:: Just cover the cake on the foamcore as you would normally with a cardboard at the bottom. Don't push the plate and leg assembly all the way down, then set the fondant cake on and let the weight carry it down for a tight fit.

With fondant cake it is *really* important to take the collars off the plates.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 3:10am
post #3 of 5

The collars! Ack, that is what I have forgotten....is that why my plates won't go down flush with the cake? Dang it I know it said that, but I forgot. dummy me, always making things harder!

Julia

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 4:18am
post #4 of 5

Thanks Leahs -- I really hate 'bugging' you continually about things!! The cake is iced in buttercream not fondant so I hope that doesn't make a difference. I leveled and torted the layers tonight (with my new agbay!!) and crumb coated them and popped them back in the freezer to chill out a while. I spread the crumb coat down to the foamboard and it seemed to 'stick' really well.

Yep - cookieobsession - you have to remove those collars!! It does make them set so much more level and secure!

Thanks again!!

Suze

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 4:32am
post #5 of 5

The collars are really only for when you have a separation and need the underside of the plate to look nice. Otherwise, pop those things off and throw them away.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%