Shiny Christmas Ornaments.........

Decorating By Cakeonista Updated 5 Dec 2008 , 4:29pm by diane706

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 5

hi everyone!
i was hoping somone could help me out..........i want to make christmas ball onaments and i want to make the fondant look shiny like real glass balls. can anyone tell me how to get that type of finish? i read somewhere where people have used a vodka bath? the finished product had that semi-shiny effect. not really sure however. thanks!
Mary

4 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 5

you can just brush the fondant with water and when it dries it will keep a pretty nice sheen to it........or if you have an airbrush just airbrush them with some color for whatever reason everything I airbrush looks shiny, I think the coloring has something in it.........or you can use luster dust (soooo pretty) or you can even paint them with a thin coating of piping gel (doesn't taste like anything, but looks shiny)

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 5

how about the americolor shimmering airbrush spray... or the pme cans of shimmering spray.... also lucks shimmering spray... hth

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 4:08pm
post #4 of 5

I used a mixture of luster dust and lemon extract and painted it on, then piped the designs on top of that with royal icing. There's some in my photos done that way. They had a nice sheen.

Deanna

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 5

I used Karo syrup/water mixture for the grapes and wine bottle in my pics. Worked great! Also, I believe Colette Peters mentioned in one of her books that you can use egg whites/water mixture. She also says you can use your airbrush with just water and do a light mist over whatever you want shiny. I've also used that method and it works well. Just make sure to test ANY method first in a spot that won't be seen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%