Cake Mix Box Batter Amounts?

Decorating By mvucic Updated 19 Aug 2005 , 3:32am by kalikw

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 6:51am
post #1 of 9

Anyone know roughly how many cups of batter is in a cake mix box? I'm trying to figure out how many boxes I need for a 10" x 2" round and 6" x 2" round. According to Wilton, that's 6 cups of batter for the 10" and 2 cups of batter for the 6" for one layer.

TIA!

8 replies
jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 7:05am
post #2 of 9

Generally there are 4 1/2 to 5 c. of batter per box, with some variation with different flavors and brands. I would say it's safe to say 4 1/2 c.

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 1:46pm
post #3 of 9

It use to say on the boxes of cake mix, about how many cups of batter...but I don't see that any more... I use a little over a half box of batter on the 6"....but I use a whole box on the 10"... I like mine to raise high... you can collar your pans too, to get them higher..
cakegal

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 9

I baked some cakes last night and after doing cakes for 11 years I just noticed that Betty Crocker cakes bake up much bigger that Duncan Hines. I don't know if it was a fluke, but I was doing character pans and the DH ones aren't nearly as high as the Betty Crocker.
So as for how many cups: I guess it really depends on which mix you are using!!

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 1:55pm
post #5 of 9

On the inside of the DH boxes (you have to tear it open at the seams) it has how much you need to make for various pan sizes, etc. Their recipe for tier cakes is there as well...works for me. Good luck thumbs_up.gif

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 5:26am
post #6 of 9

I've been using Pillsbury cake mixes a lot and I always get just over 5 cups per mix. Seems to be about the same with Betty Crocker too.
I haven't used Duncan Hines in a while but now that you mention it, I'll have to be sure to measure just to know for sure.

KimAZ

kalikw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kalikw Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 4:43am
post #7 of 9

Here is a quick guide that I use. Tne guide below is for one cake pan, it pretty much works for all cake mix brands. I really don't bother that much with the number of cups
10 x 2 = one box cake mix
12 x 2 = one and a half
8 x 2 = one half box cake mix
14 x 2 = two boxes

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 5:44am
post #8 of 9

Thanks! That is a quick guide!

I made the 6 inch yesterday, 2 layers baked and 7 cupcakes. Quite a bit! But that was from the recipe on Hershey's Cocoa powder (Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake). I measured it at 5 1/2 cups, if anyone is interested in knowing icon_wink.gif.... Did crumble a bit when I took them out of the pan, so we'll see how icing goes!

I prefer cake boxes for "practice/class" cakes... icon_biggrin.gif

kalikw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kalikw Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 3:32am
post #9 of 9

You are welcome.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%