Is This A Bad Idea?

Decorating By CakesbyBecca Updated 4 Dec 2008 , 7:27pm by SugarBakerz

CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 7

Wednesday afternoon, we will be traveling 600 miles to visit relatives in another state. I am making a two-tier cake for a get-together Saturday afternoon. I was thinking of making the 10" and 7" tiers prior to leaving, covering them with fondant and then assembling and decorating them on Friday. I really want to do the least amount possible once I'm there because I have so many people I want to see. I don't want to spend the whole time in the kitchen. I was going to do BC, but I think I'll switch to fondant to keep the cakes fresher longer. My main concerns are: Will the cakes dry out between Wednesday and Saturday? and Will the separate tiers be able to survive a 600 mile trip in a van?
Any thoughts?
TIA

6 replies
smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 7

The cakes should be fine if covered in fondant and wrapped in plastic wrap. I would put them in bakers boxes, filled with peanuts. Make sure you have a safe place for them in your car with that anti-skid stuff under the boxes.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 7

They should do good especially if they aren't going to be assembled. As for drying out do you mean fondant drying out or the cake? With the fondant covering the cake it should stay pretty good inside, maybe you should do a buttercream so you can out in frig as soon as you get there using only shortening instead of butter. Just a thought.

kellymarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellymarie Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 7

I have traveled 800kms ( i don't know the mileage conversion but its about 7-8hrs) with several cakes in my trunk, some not even covered in frosting. I wrapped them with one layer of saran, and some o covered in a dome cake thing from costco. The cakes were made thursday for a saturday wedding, and more than one person said the cake was the moistest they'd ever had. Fondant helps!

I agree about the non skid stuff. Just keep it away from suitcases etc that could fall on it, it will be fine.

Good luck!!

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 7

I have no problem with buttercream keeping a cake moist. I delivered a wedding cake 300 miles away and it did fine. just make sure it has a flat place to sit and that nothing will fall on the box. Frosted Wed the cake would still be lovely and moist in buttercream on Saturday. just think how long the leftovers keep nice and fresh.

l80bug79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l80bug79 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by smab109

with that anti-skid stuff under the boxes.

I use the bubbly rubber-like shelf liner paper for mine. get it at the dollar store. i always put it under the cake boards when they're in boxes where the cake board doesn't touch the inside of the box (if that makes sense) I also use a little circle of it under the cake board when i am using the turntable so that the cake doesn't move around on there.

I LOVE that stuff.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 7:27pm
post #7 of 7

did this last week for my dads wedding 200 miles north... baked wednesday and wedding was late saturday afternoon. had to travel for thanksgiving. i wrapped the layers without any icing in plastic wrap and the transported in a plastic bin just fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%