This Month's National Geographic (Shameless Family Boasting)

Lounge By -Tubbs Updated 5 Dec 2008 , 10:14pm by -Tubbs

-Tubbs Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 7

For anyone who has this month's National Geographic, the article "The Man Who Wasn't Darwin" is about my husband's great grandfather. We are very proud of having his as an ancestor. DH and both my boys are Russel Wallaces, and my daughter's middle name is Flores, named for one of the islands Alfred Russel Wallace wrote about.

His is a great story, made even better by the fact that he wasn't born into wealth and had to make his own way in the world. He always remained extremely modest about his accomplishments (of which there were many more than are mentioned in the NG article).

Boasting over. As you were.

6 replies
chutzpah Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 7

How neat is that??

I just have to mention that have been an NG subscriber since I was eight years old. It was my birthday present.... a subscription to NG was the only thing I wanted that year.

-Tubbs Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 12:32am
post #3 of 7

Yes, it is neat. Glad someone's seen it!

You're a long-time subscriber! Do you get a special award for that?!

I've just signed up for another year (we go through phases of subscribing or not) for only $18 which seems like a very good deal. The kids enjoyed taking this issue to school to show their teachers!

redhare Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 1:13am
post #4 of 7

oh THAT is cool! something to be proud of - family history is always cool to know especially something like that.

MichelleM77 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 8:10pm
post #5 of 7

Wow! That's neat! Do you have a link to an article?

My sister asked what to get my 11yo son for Xmas, mentioned a magazine that was probably below his level (it was rated up to 12yo, but he is reading a book about Gen. Schwartzkopf right now, sooo) and I suggested a subscription to NG because then she could just give it to the whole fam and be done with us all at once. icon_smile.gif My parents subscribed for years and it was such a fascinating mag. Oh, and it came in handy when doing school reports.

juleskaye518 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 8:42pm
post #6 of 7

My husband was given a subscription from my mom last year, and we love looking through the whole thing.

-Tubbs Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 10:14pm
post #7 of 7
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

Wow! That's neat! Do you have a link to an article?

Quote by @%username% on %date%