Doweling A Tall Cake

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 5 Dec 2008 , 2:15pm by TheCakerator

TheCakerator Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 5

Ok so I need to make a cake for dad's birthday this weekend. He loves ketchup so what better then a ketchup bottle? Well I checked the galleries and all the ones I have seen are laying down, they look great, but I'm wanting to make mine standing up .. dh say's its not possible because it will just fall over ... I was thinking three 8in square cakes, cut in half and stacked and somewhat carved .. I want to do the "modern" ketchup bottle, about eight or nine inches high, with a round long neck and then it goes down to a tall rectangular (?) body if you can all picture that .... I thought if I put a dowel through the body it would be fine .. we have to travel about a mile down the road with it .. dh says it will not stand a chance .. is there a better way to dowel this so it stays up right? Thanks!

4 replies
bisbqueenb Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 5

I would use a wooden 'board' for the cake and drill a whole for the dowel stick and glue it in securely... maybe do 3...one 'tall' onc for the neck of the bottle and 2 shorter ones to support the sides of the bottle. By gluing them it they will be much better support and you should be able to move it 'carefully'.

be sure to use cardboard in between layers as you stack, and put holes in the cardboard to match the dowels BEFORE you put the cake on....then just slide the cake/boards down on to the base.

TheCakerator Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 5

thank you for the idea ... how would I cover the wood dowels up so the glue does not get onto the cake? I assume it wouldn't be food safe ...

kakeladi Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 10:58pm
post #4 of 5

To protect the cake from the glue just cover it w/foil or plastic wrap. Actually you shouldn't get much if any glue on the cake board, it will be in the hole. You glue the dowel in the hole then cover the board as you would prepare any cake board.

TheCakerator Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 2:15pm
post #5 of 5

ok thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%