My Roses Wilt....help!

Decorating By mememalasia Updated 5 Dec 2008 , 1:37am by laura1029

mememalasia Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 4

Hey guys I was looking for some insight. I am new to decorating and am teaching myself. I've been working on trying to master making roses. I finally figured out to use the Wilton stiff consistency recipe and thought that would work. I made my first rose and it looked really good, I was thrilled. but as I went along the rest of the roses seemed to sort of wilt or melt. the petals didn't keep their shape like the first one. I don't know how to fix this. I was thinking maybe my hands were making the icing to warm and I should use less crisco than the recipe called for. Any input would be really appreciated! Thanks!

3 replies
tracycakes Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 4

Welcome to cake decorating and to cake central! You will find a wealth of information on this site.

It sounds like your icing is getting to soft from warm hands. Many of us with hot hands have that problem. Some people will set up 2 bags and go back and forth as the icing starts getting too warm. I use one bag for the center and 1 for the petals so I go back and forth between the 2 of them and it keeps either one from getting too warm.

kakeladi Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 12:42am
post #3 of 4

Yes, your hands must be warm and making the icing melt as you work. As was said, keep two bags going....put one in the frig while using the other.
OR some put a icy cold towel around the bag or nearby so cool your hands.
Make sure you use a smallish bag (10" is probably perfect) and *never!* fill it more than 1/2 full of icing.
Don't use less shortening. Use the recipe as it is. You will learn to work faster over time and this problem should resolve itself then.

laura1029 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 1:37am
post #4 of 4

I have the exact same problem and found that using 2 bags and rotating them works great. I keep a glass of ice water on my counter with a ziploc bag stuck inside. I cuff the top of the baggie over the glass so it doesn't fall in. I use one bag until the icing starts to get soft (usually 1 or 2 roses max...guess I have hot hands lol) then stick the icing bag inside the ziploc bag to cool down. If I'm making a cake with lots of roses then sometimes I switch between 3 or even 4 icing bags. HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%