Strawberry Buttercream?? What Do You Think?

Decorating By ape74 Updated 4 Dec 2008 , 1:13pm by ape74

ape74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape74 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 5:07am
post #1 of 6

Hello everyone. Again, I would like to thank everyone who answers my questions. Thanks for all the help and inspiration. Well, I'm working on my mother's birthday cake and I'm making everything strawberry. Yes, everything, from the cake to the filling, but I was wondering what you all think about me using strawberry extract in the buttercream instead of the traditional vanilla, almond, and/or butter extract. Will it taste good? I know I've read that some people actually use the raspberry one. Keep in mind that I'm making the Wilton-Crisco only buttercream. While I have been inspired to try others here, I am not looking at experimenting this weekend. Will it taste good with it or what do you suggest? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Yes, I know this buttercream is not the best, but I really won't have time to experiment this weekend. Thanks!

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 10:38am
post #2 of 6

Flavorings are totally personalicon_smile.gif Yes you can use it. It might give the icing a slight pink color. Try a mix of strawberry, vanilla & almond OR strawberry & butter OR whatever you think will taste good.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 11:06am
post #3 of 6

Use a bit of vanilla along with the strawberry.

You know how salt unifies the flavors in hot foods? Vanilla does the same thing in baked goods. It "brings together" other flavors.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 12:22pm
post #4 of 6

If you have sugared strawberries, you might want to consider adding some strawberry juices or even some cut up strawberries into the buttercream, as well.

Paul & Peter

mandi1613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandi1613 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 12:30pm
post #5 of 6

I usually use my juicer to make strawberry juice. i also add strawberry extract and vanilla extract. i always get rave reviews and you get a true strawberry flavor.

ape74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape74 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 1:13pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you very much everyone! Thank you for your suggestions! I have clear extract anyway but even if it did color my frosting, I'm not too concerned with that because I'll be coloring the icing pink anyway. I can't wait! I think I'll use both vanilla extract and strawberry juice from the sugared strawberries that I'll be using for my filling along with the strawberry extract!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%