Cheap Wedding Cakes...an Article To Read

Decorating By Iloveweddings Updated 4 Dec 2008 , 7:01pm by staceyboots

Iloveweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
9 replies
marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 1:10pm
post #2 of 10

I like the part where it says to take the sheet cakes and stack them one on top of each other without any support other than the "cardboard"in between, and not to go any higher than three tiers because you may run the risk of the bottom layer being squashed by the weight of the upper layers. icon_lol.gif

If I go to a wedding that has a cake that uses this option for their wedding cake, I would like a table beside the cake table so that I can video the cake disaster - maybe I can win some money on America's Funniest Home Videos! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 10

Oh my...

Well, if the guests wouldn't be able to tell that everything was "cheap," then I guess it's really not a champagne taste on a beer budget situation, now is it? icon_wink.gif

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 10

How sad is that?!?

I wouldn't have had a cake at my wedding if those were my options. I'm blessed because my mother made my cake, but she was a cake decorator and is the person who got me started in the decorating business. (Thanks mom!) But if not - I don't think so!

I can understand a budget, but some of the suggestions are just pathetic!

Rachael1013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachael1013 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:41pm
post #5 of 10

Wow! That was amazing... Man, if my friends (most of which are guys) baked and decorated a cake for my wedding...I guarantee no one would even consider eating it! And to offer a table with toppings for your cake? Yeah, that totally sounds more "beautiful wedding" rather than "5 year old's birthday party"!? There sure are some misguided people in this world...

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:45pm
post #6 of 10

It's articles like these by people who have no clue that make it harder and harder for us to make a living at what we do. For some reason people think we have no right to make a profit on what we do, yet they don't seem to balk at paying a caterer $26 per plate for some basic meal, or a florist thousands of dollars. It seems that the cake person always gets the short end of the budget stick!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 3:57pm
post #7 of 10

That article is a piece of garbage. The site looks like one of those where any old schmuck can submit an article on any subject, regardless of his/her qualifications. The author, Dee Power, has a zillion different articles submitted on all sorts of stuff. The deal usually is that the author receives like $0.01 per page view, so all of us clicking are earning her money. icon_lol.gif

Also, did anyone notice at the bottom there is a link that says "Find out more about Weddings on a Shoestring Budget" but the hyperlink goes to a site called insidesecretstoventurecapital.com ? It's such garbage. It just makes me sad that brides may read this and think: "Hey! A sheet cake with a bowl of sprinkles next to it! What an ingenious idea!" icon_confused.gif

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 6:11pm
post #8 of 10

odd man out here but the sheet cake idea could work it makes a 3 layer cake so it would be fine. Especially if they know how to pipe a border and really that does not take that long to learn.

We are talking weddings for people who would not use a caterer at most they would pick the food up at the store deli dept.

There are still some people whoe want and can do a wedding for only a few hundred dollars. and these suggestions would work for them.

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 6:46pm
post #9 of 10

I'm not saying that the sheet cake idea wouldn't work...it's the lack of supports (trust me, I learned the hard way BEFORE I got into cake decorating - I put another smaller slab on top of another without supports and watched at the party while the whole thing sank into itself icon_redface.gif ). I wouldn't want to find this out at my wedding! icon_cry.gif

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 7:01pm
post #10 of 10

i like the comment that says:

"None of your guests will realize how cheap your wedding cake is, they'll just be impressed by how beautiful it was"

...yeah right icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%