Help

Decorating By confectionaryperfection Updated 5 Dec 2008 , 7:03pm by Tita9499

confectionaryperfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionaryperfection Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 4:33am
post #1 of 10

i am making a cake for a sister. it is the shape of a box. i made the lid and bow out of gumpaste and fondant. the filling is cannoli. i will need to put in fridge. now my questions are.... what will happen to the gumpaste decorations and the fondant covered cake when it is in fridge, removed from fridge and the cannoli filling since it will need to be displayed for about 4hrs/

9 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 1:38pm
post #2 of 10

Someone just had a post about fondant in the fridge and in the freezer. Maybe someone could share the link with you. I don't know where it was. Darn!!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 10

Depends on the fondant. Commercially made, as well as traditional recipe fondant usually has no issues being refrigerated. I use Satin Ice and refrigerate all of my cakes without issue. I have neve used MMF, but from what I have read around here it doesn't hold up well to being refrigerated--but again, I don't speak from experience there.

confectionaryperfection Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 12:21am
post #4 of 10

thanks guys. anyone what about the bumpaste? and what about the cannoil filling?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 12:51am
post #5 of 10

Do not put gp anything in the frig. Fondant bow, yes, gp no.
Never made that filling so I have no idea if it needs refrigeration or not.

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 1:12am
post #6 of 10

Fondant, even MMF, is okay to refrigerate. You actually should if you're storing it for more than a few days (before using). Gumpaste will get all floppy though so you should avoid that if at all possible. Canolli filling which I'm assuming should be made with eggs and marscapone cheese will be fine IF you use pasteurized eggs and wait until the very last minute to fill the box before displaying.

Cariad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cariad Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 9:13am
post #7 of 10

I would not recommend putting gumpaste into a fridge as when removed the paste tends to attract condensation because of the tempreture change and this is what makes the paste floppy. Keep any gumpaste decoration off the ake until last minute that way theu will keep their shape.
The gumpaste can wilt if it is too warm also.

confectionaryperfection Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 3:27pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tita9499

Fondant, even MMF, is okay to refrigerate. You actually should if you're storing it for more than a few days (before using). Gumpaste will get all floppy though so you should avoid that if at all possible. Canolli filling which I'm assuming should be made with eggs and marscapone cheese will be fine IF you use pasteurized eggs and wait until the very last minute to fill the box before displaying.

thanks for the reply. cannoli filling is with ricotta cz, puwdered sugar, shaved chocolate, cinnamon. no eggs. I am concerned about the cheese

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 6:37pm
post #9 of 10

the filling will be ok left out for a few hours. I've made similar fillings a couple times without issue, actually probably the same one. As for gumpaste, i've put it in the fridge without issue. If you're in a hot/humid climate you will have trouble though. If it's cool and dry then you should be fine. I made a sheet cake a week or two ago, had gumpaste roses and a gumpaste baby with a blanket on it. It was in the fridge overnight and never had an issue when it was brought out.

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 7:03pm
post #10 of 10

It should be fine. And what's wrong with a little salmonella every once in a while, it builds a strong immune system!

For the record, that was just a JOKE!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%