Need Help Tonight With Custard Filling

Decorating By AlamoSweets Updated 5 Dec 2008 , 2:05am by ILE

AlamoSweets Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 3:26am
post #1 of 5

I have a customer that is insisting on a custard filling. She has ordered two carved cakes for Friday and I wanted to fondant one tonight to stay ahead. She is insisting on a custard filling and I don't have enough room in my refrigerator for the 2 cakes. Anyone have any suggestions? She might settle for a creme filling. She just doesn't like buttercream that much. Help please!

4 replies
kakeladi Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 10:47am
post #2 of 5

Sorry no one could help you in time.
My suggestion is to use bavarian creme filling that is sold in the sleeve at cake supplie shops.
I've seen others on here suggest pastry cream or 'twinkee' filling (a fluffly b'c) but I don't have recipes for either.

AlamoSweets Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 1:18pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks kakeladi. I appreciate the reply.

bumbledee Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 5

What I usually do when I don´t have enough space in the icebox, is to leave it in my tiny office with the AC on, and it turns out fine, for a quick custard you might want to use a instant pudding base and add different flavorings to do the filling faster.

Although I would recommend to do your custard from scratch, this method works great.

1 box of instant vanilla pudding
2 cups of cold milk
6 cups of cold cream (for whipping)
(place the cream in the mixer bowl, add the pudding powder, and the milk, whip until it´s fluffy)
Add your flavorings I do fruit purees and some times nut pastes like pistachio or almond. And it doesn´t need that much refrigeration.

Let me know if this helps !!! Good luck!

ILE Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 2:05am
post #5 of 5

I USUALLY USE THIS ONE IT DOESN'T TAKE ANY TIME 1C SUGAR 1/4 C .OF CORNSTARCH 1/4 C.FLOUR. 4 EGGS YOKL 1/8 TSP OF SALT 1TSP VANILLA. 3C. OF MILK.1/2 TSP OF CINNANON .... IN A SOUCE PAN MIX FLOUR,SUGAR,CORNSTARCH,SALT,ADD MILK AND CINNANON ON MED HEAT...STIR UNTIL THICK**BEAT EGG YOLK UNTIL COMBINE.. POUR ABOUT 1/2C. OF HOT MIXTURE INTO EGG MIXTURE STIR CONSTANLY FOR ABOUT 1 MIN.POUR MIX BACK INTO THE REST OF CUSTAR STIR FOR ANOTHER 2MIN POUT INTO BOWL LET COOL. I HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND MY WAY .ANY QUESTION E-MAIL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%