Stupid Question

Decorating By paulstonia Updated 10 Dec 2008 , 7:45pm by leah_s

paulstonia Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 3:13am
post #1 of 11

I tried to posth this ealier, but it never showed up anywhere so I'll try again. Is ganache perishable. I thought it should be because of the whip cream but I've seen posts that say it's ok to leave it out since the cream has been cooked. I have a wedding cake I wanted to use white chocolate ganache in and I just found out she wants me to deliver it like 5 hours before the ceremony. Now I'm a little worried about the cake sitting there for that long.

10 replies
antonia74 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 3:21am
post #2 of 11

Hey, it's not a stupid question. Don't put yourself down like that. thumbsdown.gif

Your 5 hour time frame should be no issue whatsoever. I've used whipped ganache (chocolate/cream) both inside as a filling and outside as an exterior icing and it has been fine for such a small period of time.

I do deliver my wedding cakes chilled, but I display them right away upon my arrival at the venue. They sit for upwards of 4-12 hours before being consumed.

Hope that helps! icon_smile.gif

FullHouse Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 3:31am
post #3 of 11

I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for the info Antonia.

handymama Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 3:46am
post #4 of 11

Five hours will be no problem at all. However, several days out on the counter top--with the lid on--and it grows a furry coat. (I hadn't been in my bakery for a few days.) Could've just cried.

cheesecakes-galore Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 4:25am
post #5 of 11

I have a question that sort of goes along with that. Can you leave a whipped cream, or a cream cheese iced cake out for that long too?

handymama Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 3:24pm
post #6 of 11

Cream cheese: yes. Whipped cream: if it's stabilized whipped cream icing, yes, but I wouldn't on a hot summer day.

leah_s Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 5:13pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by handymama

Cream cheese: yes. Whipped cream: if it's stabilized whipped cream icing, yes, but I wouldn't on a hot summer day.

Really?

Because I sure wouldn't.

There are a few cream cheese icing recipes where the dairy to sugar ratio would be safe, but as a general rule, no.

I thought stabilized whipped cream was stabilized with gelatin, so that still falls under the four-hour rule.

handymama Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 6:07pm
post #8 of 11

Hmmm, you could be right Leahs. I've never had a problem with cream cheese, but maybe it's my recipe. I was assured by a long-time decorator who uses the "bettercream" a lot that it's fine out of the fridge for a couple of days. (Have never used it myself.) Now I'd like to know what the truth is!

Monkess Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 6:27pm
post #9 of 11

I agree with Leahs about the cream cheese it tends to get that sour smell after 5 hours especially in the warmer weather. Cream- I use Richs whipped and that is good left outside in a cool area for almost 6 hours- that is largely because it is not actually dairy but an oil product.

Mike1394 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 7:26pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by handymama

Hmmm, you could be right Leahs. I've never had a problem with cream cheese, but maybe it's my recipe. I was assured by a long-time decorator who uses the "bettercream" a lot that it's fine out of the fridge for a couple of days. (Have never used it myself.) Now I'd like to know what the truth is!

Bettercreme almost has the shelf life the same as sleeve filling. It's nondairy

Mike

leah_s Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 7:45pm
post #11 of 11

Yeah, I have no problem leaving *Bettercreme* out at room temp. When I worked in a bakery, we left it out for five days in the case. I swear and it was fine. Real creme, nuh-uh.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%