What Kind Of Board Do You Use??

Decorating By LisaBa Updated 6 Dec 2008 , 2:17am by mluis03

LisaBa Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:38am
post #1 of 13

I am doing a large cupcake cake and for those of you who do them what do you use for the board? It's for a snowman and it is LARGE. Any help would be appreciated. Should I go to Lowes and have a piece of plywood cut to size?

Lisa B

12 replies
cylstrial Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 1:35pm
post #2 of 13

I think the plywood idea sounds good. You could cover it and make it nice! Hopefully someone else will come along with better advice!!

mlharvell Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 1:40pm
post #3 of 13

I use foam board covered in wrapping paper.

LisaBa Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 13

Where do I get foamboard? Thanks for the response!

rvercher23 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:16pm
post #5 of 13

You can get foamboard at almost any arts and crafts store. You can also get it at walmart. For wedding cakes I usually do 4 layers and for birthday cakes, and others I use 2 layers. Sometimes at Micheals you can get the foamboard for 1 dollar.

MissyTex Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:17pm
post #6 of 13

I get mine at Hobby Lobby. I use 1/2" foam core, cut it to the size and shape I want and cover it with my cake foil.

sillychick Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:19pm
post #7 of 13

I have had a couple of very LARGE cakes that I had to use plywood for and I couldn't get the tape to stick on the back so I could cover the darn thing. Just thought I'd mention that. I prefer to use masonite, which is made of compressed wood bits or something like that. It's also available at Lowe's, Home Depot type stores. HTH

susanscakecreations Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:24pm
post #8 of 13

Well, personally, I have had no luck with the Lowe's in my area; they will not even THINK of cutting a round plywood circle.......just won't do it.......I use the foamcore boards now........get them at Hobby Lobby or Michael's...........most any craft store should have them........I don't have a Home Depot that is close, so I can't say about them cutting the plywood..........good luck!!!


yvette131 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:25pm
post #9 of 13

i use cake drums that i get from country kitchen. They have all sizes and are very strong, but if you already have the plywood then i would go with that.

PinkZiab Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:53pm
post #10 of 13

I use masonite for everything... both as my baseboard under any size or shape cake, and as my cake circles under each tier in stacked cakes.

deetmar Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 10:48pm
post #11 of 13

I just completed a 20X30 Hannah Montanna Guitar cupcake cake. I used 1/2" foam core and it worked great. When Michaels and Hobby Lobby have their 40% coupons, I print a bunch off, and go with my husband almost everyday to stock up.

I tried to order it online, but you have to order like $300 worth, so that doesn't work for me. Good luck!

Price Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 11:26pm
post #12 of 13

I also like to buy the 1/2" sheets of foam core and cut to the size I need. You can buy the Wilton foil covered cake drums from Michaels. I use them sometimes. It all depends on my mood and what I'm making. I used a Wilton drum for the last cake I posted and covered the top of it with fondant, glued a white ribbon around the edge and then used thin royal icing around the edge to resemble snow.

I also have nice boards that I use for heavier cakes. I got them from Home Depot. They are 1/2" partical board. I think they were a 2'x4' board, and then they were nice enough to cut it into the sizes I wanted. They couldn't cut them in circles, but I have some nice rectangles and squares.

mluis03 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 2:17am
post #13 of 13

On the piece of plywood you can glue a piece of glass then a ribbon around the frame of the plywood to give it a finished look. In the future you can take a deposit for this board when used for either a wedding cake or other event. The deposit is then returned when the glass board is returned to you. It also gives your cake a nice finished look.

Quote by @%username% on %date%