What Kind Of Board Do You Use??

Decorating By LisaBa Updated 6 Dec 2008 , 2:17am by mluis03

LisaBa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaBa Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:38am
post #1 of 13

I am doing a large cupcake cake and for those of you who do them what do you use for the board? It's for a snowman and it is LARGE. Any help would be appreciated. Should I go to Lowes and have a piece of plywood cut to size?

Thanks!
Lisa B

12 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 1:35pm
post #2 of 13

I think the plywood idea sounds good. You could cover it and make it nice! Hopefully someone else will come along with better advice!!

mlharvell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlharvell Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 1:40pm
post #3 of 13

I use foam board covered in wrapping paper.

LisaBa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaBa Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 13

Where do I get foamboard? Thanks for the response!

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:16pm
post #5 of 13

You can get foamboard at almost any arts and crafts store. You can also get it at walmart. For wedding cakes I usually do 4 layers and for birthday cakes, and others I use 2 layers. Sometimes at Micheals you can get the foamboard for 1 dollar.

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:17pm
post #6 of 13

I get mine at Hobby Lobby. I use 1/2" foam core, cut it to the size and shape I want and cover it with my cake foil.

sillychick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillychick Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:19pm
post #7 of 13

I have had a couple of very LARGE cakes that I had to use plywood for and I couldn't get the tape to stick on the back so I could cover the darn thing. Just thought I'd mention that. I prefer to use masonite, which is made of compressed wood bits or something like that. It's also available at Lowe's, Home Depot type stores. HTH

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:24pm
post #8 of 13

Well, personally, I have had no luck with the Lowe's in my area; they will not even THINK of cutting a round plywood circle.......just won't do it.......I use the foamcore boards now........get them at Hobby Lobby or Michael's...........most any craft store should have them........I don't have a Home Depot that is close, so I can't say about them cutting the plywood..........good luck!!!

Susan

yvette131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yvette131 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:25pm
post #9 of 13

i use cake drums that i get from country kitchen. They have all sizes and are very strong, but if you already have the plywood then i would go with that.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:53pm
post #10 of 13

I use masonite for everything... both as my baseboard under any size or shape cake, and as my cake circles under each tier in stacked cakes.

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 10:48pm
post #11 of 13

I just completed a 20X30 Hannah Montanna Guitar cupcake cake. I used 1/2" foam core and it worked great. When Michaels and Hobby Lobby have their 40% coupons, I print a bunch off, and go with my husband almost everyday to stock up.

I tried to order it online, but you have to order like $300 worth, so that doesn't work for me. Good luck!

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 11:26pm
post #12 of 13

I also like to buy the 1/2" sheets of foam core and cut to the size I need. You can buy the Wilton foil covered cake drums from Michaels. I use them sometimes. It all depends on my mood and what I'm making. I used a Wilton drum for the last cake I posted and covered the top of it with fondant, glued a white ribbon around the edge and then used thin royal icing around the edge to resemble snow.

I also have nice boards that I use for heavier cakes. I got them from Home Depot. They are 1/2" partical board. I think they were a 2'x4' board, and then they were nice enough to cut it into the sizes I wanted. They couldn't cut them in circles, but I have some nice rectangles and squares.

mluis03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mluis03 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 2:17am
post #13 of 13

On the piece of plywood you can glue a piece of glass then a ribbon around the frame of the plywood to give it a finished look. In the future you can take a deposit for this board when used for either a wedding cake or other event. The deposit is then returned when the glass board is returned to you. It also gives your cake a nice finished look.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%