W.choco Fondant Nightmare!!!!

Decorating By BlondiezBakery Updated 7 Dec 2008 , 2:26am by suzylynn58

BlondiezBakery Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 12:09am
post #1 of 19

I just left the kitchen in utter frustration.

I have never made homemade fondant before, so maybe that is my mistake. However, I used this recipe http://ashleescooking.blogspot.com/2008/06/how-to-makecolorcut-fondant.html I heard good things about it so went for it.

It turned into a rocky-powdered sugary mess. The recipe called for 4lbs of powdered sugar which I think turned into too much.

My mixer was struggling to keep moving before I even added the chocolate. Poor kitchen aid...I think I may have seriously done some damage to it, as the whole thing was shaking and the dough hook could barely make it around.

In the end I was able to use about 50%-60% of the mixture to attempt to knead together. The rest of it is rocky sugar clumps sitting on my table or at the bottom of my mixer. The part that I did salvage will be a blessing if it turns out after sitting for a few days.

I would love the feedback....so that I can have a beter experience on my next attempt.

18 replies
jlsheik Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 12:22am
post #2 of 19

You can't go wrong with Michele Fosters Fondant its in the recipe section.
You add the mixture to 2lbs of PS and add a little until it starts to form then pour out and knead in the rest by hand...I don't use quite all 4lbs.
Sorry this happened, but you live you learn!!
You'll get it and if you dont...buy Satin Ice or Pettinice.

cakemom24 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 12:36am
post #3 of 19

I was going to try making this exact recipe tomorrow!! Now I am worried. I will try it and let you know how it goes!!

BlondiezBakery Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 12:59am
post #4 of 19

Hi Cakemom. Good luck, and let me know how it goes!

If I am in any position to pass on advice (not likely)....I would suggest that you only start out with 2-3 lbs of sugar instead of the full 4. Then, as you are in the mixing stage...start slowly pouring the rest into the bowl.

For me...the problems started when I got to the mixer and the dough hook. I had a whole bowl full of PS that had nowhere to go. Then, when the mixture hit it is became hard as a rock and clung to the sides. I had to start stabbing it with a knife just to get it loose.

Sounds dramatic, I know. Baking can get down and dangerous....

ladyonzlake Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 1:08am
post #5 of 19

I personally buy my fondant...Satinice. Making it is such a PITA for me and I'd rather just get on to the decorating part. You can make prepurchased fodant white chocolate flavored by kneading in chocolate modeling clay.

Good luck to you!

michellesArt Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 1:11am
post #6 of 19

i tried using the marshmellow recipie once and it's just too much work kneading for mostly accents and the occasional figure or letters that i just buy it made (save the work for someone much more dedicated)does it taste better or is it easier (well, judging from your comments no) if the answer is no maybe save yourself the hassle cheers michelle icon_smile.gif

BlondiezBakery Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 1:19am
post #7 of 19

Thanks for the advice. I am so frustrated right now and I head out of town tomorrow for a few days. So, if i'm going to make fondant it has to be tonight...or go the way of 'store bought' when I get home.

I suppose I could try one more attempt tonight at the homemade stuff, and if it fails by the time I am back home I will hit up the store for some good old fashioned satin ice.

Now...I know this is debated time and time again...but I just want a 'good fondant' experience.

MFF? or MMF? (Easy to make with good results is what I am looking for)

bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 1:23am
post #8 of 19

JenniferMI has an awesome white chocolate fondant recipe which I swear by. icon_biggrin.gif

sugarwishes Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:46am
post #9 of 19

I made this white chocolate fondant and had no problem. did you pour the whole 4 pounds of ps in at once?? its way too much. when i made it i put 2 pounds in a bowl and made a well in the center. then made everything as the recipe said. i poured the mix into the "well" and (i did not use a stand mixer) stirred til everything was almost fully incorporated. then i added all of the chocolate, mixed using a wooden spoon, then mixer. for the other 2 pounds, i probably only used about 1 1/2 pounds of it, if that. i put in about a cup at a time and once it got to the point that it was too thick for the mixer, i spread it out over the ps on the counter and kneaded. it was actually very soft. i wrapped it up, let it set overnight and the next day it was perfect!! here is a cupcake i made using the white chocolate fondant

cakedivamommy Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:53am
post #10 of 19
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

JenniferMI has an awesome white chocolate fondant recipe which I swear by. icon_biggrin.gif

Is this recipe in the recipes section? I tried looking for it and could not find it. Thank you!

FromScratch Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 3:01am
post #11 of 19

Jennifer's recipe is on her instructional DVD. icon_smile.gif

I swear by Michele Foster's Delicious Fondant recipe in the recipe section here on CC. It's marvelous stuff.

BlondiezBakery Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 3:03am
post #12 of 19

LilMissCupcake...thanks for the help. I did actually put in ALL 4lbs in the beginning, because I had never made it before and didn't know any better (and it wan't in her recipe).

So, I gave it a second go, and this was my experience. I hope you can read it and let me know if that sounds about right. I think I used right at 4lbs maybe a lil' more.

Also, I couldn't find the JenniferMI recipe either.....?

BlondiezBakery Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 3:32am
post #13 of 19

Thanks jkalman! Next time I am going to go with MFF.....something that everyone has experience with and all great outcomes. icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 7:30pm
post #14 of 19

With my choc. fondant, I start out with Pettinice. My customers LOVE the taste and I love the performance of it.

If you have questions, feel free to e-mail me

Jen icon_smile.gif

SILVERCAT Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 11:30pm
post #15 of 19

I have tried many times to make MMF and with no luck I gave it up. I know work with rolled buttercream! Works great and isn't chewy like MMF is.

KathyTW Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 11:57pm
post #16 of 19

Blondiez....don't beat yourself up, in my experience my MMF turns out different every time I make it - that is why I suspect so many people buy theirs - I would too but I don't use it often enough and shipping is way too expensive !

I went back and looked at the recipe that you used - I too had bookmarked it as one to try. In step 2 it says to put the PS into the bowl and make a well......it doesn't quantify how much to put in, so you put it all in! Then in the last step it says to turn the dough onto a PS dusted surface and then knead in the "Remaining" PS..... If you follow step 2, you wouldn't have any PS remaining icon_confused.gif So it sounds like she really only wants us to use part of the PS in step 2 and then the rest as needed.
It would be nice if she went back and edited the recipe to show the correct way (for all of us that like to follow recipes!).

I'm glad your second batch turned out better!

bettinashoe Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 12:17am
post #17 of 19

The first time I made MMF I had the same problem because I added all the PS to the bowl. I now only add about half during mixing and then knead in any remaining on the board. I never use all 4 lbs. It is worth trying again as you will probably have good results and the taste of MMF is great.

weirkd Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 12:21am
post #18 of 19

If your going to make fondant, I really suggest trying Michelle Fosters recipe on here also. Ive tried so many different types of fondant recipes and this one seems to work for me every single time Ive used it. Its really close to Satin Ice fondant but has a better taste to it I think. But if you are going to buy fondant, then I suggest buying Satin Ice.

suzylynn58 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 2:26am
post #19 of 19

Just weighting in with my fondant review. I usually use Michelle Foster's recipe which I LOVE, easy to make, predictable and easy to handle. But when I saw the WC recipe I had to give it a try.

I started with 2 lbs PS in the mixer bowl and added gradually till it stiffened. Then turned out and kneaded in the rest. I used corn syrup in place of the glucose and reduced the water a little bit. The fondant was still very soft when I wrapped it to let it set.

That was a couple days ago. When I kneaded it out and colored it today, it once again got very soft and sticky. I added a little more powdered sugar. When I got it rolled out and on the cake it continued to stretch and droop. Finally got it looking decent and it tasted good. Sweeter than Michelle's in my opinion. Anyway, I will stick to hers from now on, much easier for me to work with.

Sorry so long,

Quote by @%username% on %date%