Fondant Pearls And Luster Dust.....

Decorating By cakebaker1978 Updated 5 Dec 2008 , 2:42am by cakebaker1978

cakebaker1978 Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 10

I have silver luster dust. If I roll all my MMF pearls and dust them with silver luster lust.....will I still achieve a pearl like appearance or will I get silver pearls?? I really would hate to have to run back to micheals....again.
*sigh

9 replies
cakebaker1978 Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 11:34pm
post #2 of 10

Any tips?? I am thinking about making them tomorrow so hopefully someone knows the answer by then! I love CC and I know I have been full of questions the last few days but I am doing a cake that is WAY out of my safety zone. I just want to make sure it turns out great! Hi my name is cakebaker1978 and I am a CC addict!!!!heehee icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 5:18am
post #3 of 10

I can't remember how dark the silver is. My suggestion would be to try a couple and see how silvery they come out.

brincess_b Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 10

i tried this and it came out just kind of a silvery sheen, the one i tried was yellow, and you could still tell. i would try it and see!

Tita9499 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 11:23pm
post #5 of 10

What if you brush a really light gray onto the pearl, then coat it in luster dust? Just a thought.

craftycakes Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 11:28pm
post #6 of 10

I used silver luster dust when making different collered fondant decorations and you could tell it was silver. It may look different on white fondant.

weirkd Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 11:31pm
post #7 of 10

The silver luster dust you get in Michaels is it the Wilton brand? Its pretty close to the super pearl luster dust, not the silver dust from CK. It still wont achieve the right sheen you want for a pearl. Depends on how much it matters to you but if you want authentic looking pearls you really need to use the super pear luster dust.

dabear Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 11:37pm
post #8 of 10

Start with a grey fondant. It should help. I've never used the Wilton's.

icer101 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 11:51pm
post #9 of 10

if you want it to look like real pearls.... you need to use the super pearl . not the silver luster dust... that is my opinion... hth

cakebaker1978 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 2:42am
post #10 of 10

I decided to go with the silver luster dust. I used it on white MMF pearls/balls. It isn't really pearl looking BUT, I achieved a really nice shimmer on the white pearls almost frosty looking! Looks nice and since I am using them on a winter themed cake, I think it will work out great! Thank you so much for all your help!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%