Candy Center? Link Fixed

Baking By Kaybaby Updated 11 Dec 2008 , 6:51am by Jopalis

Kaybaby Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 9:09pm
post #1 of 15

Hello,

I would love to make these cookies posted in the gallery by Jeannem. Any ideas of what she used for the candy center?

Thanks so much,

Vonda

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1289546

14 replies
KHalstead Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 15

http://www.womansday.com/Recipes/Crystal-Snowflakes

I can't get the photo to come up but the caption says "my version of woman's day snowflake" so I googled it and this is what I found.......maybe this will help!

Kaybaby Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 9:29pm
post #3 of 15

Thank you. I can't get the link to work right. Hers is a variation of this cookie. I'm sure its the same candy.

Thanks again,

Vonda

KHalstead Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 9:52pm
post #4 of 15

I still can't figure out how she iced her cookie and THEN added the candy??? Unless she melted the candy inside of a cookie cutter and then let it harden and then attached it........maybe that's why she put all the dragees around to mask where the cookie and candy meet?? I dunno!! They are really cool cookies, I'm making some snowflake cookies for a donation to a bake sale......might try some with candy centers, they're really cool looking!

ngfcake Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 10:07pm
post #5 of 15

She bakes the cookies for a while, then take them out of the oven and fill the centers with crushed candy. Return the cookies to the oven until the candy melts. Here is another link with pictures. I want to try them!!

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/006213stained_glass_cookies.php

KHalstead Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 8:52pm
post #6 of 15

yes I get that you do it halfway through the baking but the person on CC that made them stated that she iced them first and then put the candy centers in them, that's what threw me off. Someone asked her how she got the icing so perfect and didn't get any on the candy center and she said "I iced them first, then added the centers." How is that possible??????

Kaybaby Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 9:41pm
post #7 of 15

I sent an PM to her asking about the cookies. I hope she sees it. I have no idea where to find the ice blue candies and I wanted to know where she got her snowflake. The ones I find are shaped differently, I like hers better.

Vonda

Jeannem Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 9:49pm
post #8 of 15

Yikes!! I can't believe there is a thread about my cookies!!
The cutter is the largest from the snowflake set that comes in the tin. I think it's the same in both the 5 piece set and the 9 piece set.
After baking the cookies (cut out the center-leave it empty) I frosted with poured icing. You put the cookies on a grate pour icing on top like making petit fours.
Next I brushed them with pearl dust.
Then I made lollipop candy--got the microwave recipe from lorannoils.com--1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup corn syrup. Follow their directions--make sure to cover with cling film. My microwave is 1000 watts so I heated for 2 1/2 minutes, stirred, heated for another 2 minutes. Make sure to test a drop in a glass of water--it's gotta crackle when dropped in the water. I used electric blue food color, and just "drizzled" the hot candy in the center--less is better so you don't overflow the cut out design. put the cookies on cling film so they'll release (waxed paper makes them stick. And yes the dots of icing are hiding the imperfections. I made cake jeweles with the leftover candy.
HTH-

TracyLH Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 9:59pm
post #9 of 15

Jeannem - May I ask what recipe you use for the poured icing? That would save me a lot of time instead of piping and flooding and may be my saving grace right now. icon_smile.gif

Jeannem Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 10:38pm
post #10 of 15

Drat--I was afraid someone was going to ask for that recipe--I just make a witch's brew of milk, butter, powdered sugar, corn syrup and flovoring. I think you could use the "easy petits fours icing" from this site. Just keep it warm--not too hot, and add white food coloring!! Don't even think of doing it without the food white food color--makes life so much easier. I put mine on a rack over a sheet pan and pour the icing over with a gravy ladle. Just scrape the icing back in the container and reheat. A lot of people just dunk the cookie.

Kaybaby Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 11:02pm
post #11 of 15

I am so glad you responded. Your cookies are gorgeous. Is the tin you used the Wilton brand? I saw some cutters but they looked thinner at the points and I just didn't like them.

Thanks again so much,

Vonda

Jeannem Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 3:46am
post #12 of 15

Not the Wilton--have those and they break easily. I've attached a picture of a set that will work--there is also a set of 5 that has the same large cutter. This set is nice, and you can use one of the smaller cutters for the center. Hope it works--I'm a computer novice..
LL

cakedivamommy Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 5:05am
post #13 of 15

Did you purchase the cutters online or somewhere like Michaels?

Jeannem Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 2:42am
post #14 of 15

I think you'd have to get them from a cake decorating supply place--for sure not Michaels--about all they have is Wilton.

Jopalis Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 6:51am
post #15 of 15

I did same for valentine cookies... used crushed red candy. My family and I didn't care for eating them like that though. I love how they look. Didn't care for the crunchy candy center in eating. Just our opinion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%